• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This just in....mallys, cans, bills, widgeons.....

Hunted near Hutchinson this morning and was greeted with a nice flight of birds. Lots of large flocks of mallards, a few cans, bluebills, ringers, and widgeons. It seemed like they were just moving into the area today ahead of this small cold front and strong north wind. Shot five birds and lost 1; 3 greenheads (1 lost), 1 can, 1 ringer, 1 widgeon. Hunted on Tuesday and didn't hardly see a duck so these are definetly new birds within the last day or so.

Recommendations: lots of duck decoys (2 dozen or more mallard blocks mixed with diver dekes), very little calling, if you use goose decoys make sure they are away from the approach/landing zone as the birds that were working would avoid approaching over the heads of the honker floaters, and finally, don't forget to call in sick to work the rest of the week grin.gif!

Man I love this time of year! Good luck to all, the migration is on!!!

-Lip

hunted a spot out in carver county today and shot ringbills, bluebills, cans, redheads, buffleheads, and a mallard. didnt expect to see what we saw. sure aint complaining.

Hunting Isanti county this weekend and was also pleased. One short of a limit on Sat and got er dun on Sunday. Shot my first Can nice one too...but not nice enough for the wall unfortunately. mixed bag of gwt, bwt, mally, ringers, pintail, widgeon and that can...sweet. Saw lots of birds and higher flocks yesterday too..so I do think we have a little migration going. Both days if we would have shot a little better we would have been driving home with limits no later than two hours after legal shooting time. But then I wouldn't have shot my can...he was the last one for my limit. Funny how it works out sometimes. Really wish I could afford a day off this week. frown.gif

Ironman,

I'm curious if you'd be willing to help out a person. I've been looking for a place to take the kids in Isanti and haven't really seen much. Any tips??? Thanks...

get ready for the standard reply. I dont feel the need to get specific as this spot is fairly well known...although I was pleasently suprised that it wasn't as crowded as usual. However it is a public spot..so with a good map and some drive time...I'm sure you'll find it or another decent spot. I'd love to help more but its the nature of the beast.