Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kallista

deer droppings

9 posts in this topic

Hunter finds every pile of deer droppings and eats it..Is there any i can do besides tell him no? He isn't on a leash when we are in the woods, and by the time i get there its all gone..yuckie

Can this hurt him or give him some kind of a disease

Wow, I was going ask the same question! My 3 month old lab is doing the same thing. Can anyone help here? Thanks

I have a yellow who was not supposed to make it past five because of her hips. She eats any kind of crap, but alot of deer crap and other dog crap. Shes eleven now and doesnt walk to good but she has all heart. So I dont know, it has not hurt her.

haha mine does the same thing,hes almost 5 months old now and when we go for walks in the woods hes off the leash but i never let him get out of shootin range even if im not caring a gun so i always get there before he can really get alot down

at least he doesn't try to roll in it like mine does...

LOL Ok i thought so... yes at lease he doesn't roll in it..

i am not far from him but he scarfs it down so fast like he hasn't are..Well ok i guess our dogs will clean the woods from turds..at lease till they listen and stop..

Mine likes to roll in it....I don't know if I'd prefer him to eat it, but at least you don't have anything to clean up.

I guess I would say that you should use a check cord or some long piece of rope. I understand that its nice to let them run uninhibited sometimes, I do it too, but if they are not under your control and they are doing undesireable things then you need to decide if you want them to stop. If you do then you need to keep him on some form of a leash to correct him when he does it. I used a 30ft cod and then a 50ft'r, and now if it ever does happen I have the e-collar.

yes.. but to many trees ..long stems and down trees and branches the rope gets so tangled in.. Theres no way to do with in the woods with a rope for me anyways..I wont use a e- collar.... I am not against them, don't get me wrong, i just wont use them on my dogs.. Thats why i was asking besides telling him to, taking him away from the crap, was there another secret out here i didn't know yet lol..

Hes a male dog after all, all a part of being a dog, just wanted to make sure he wont get super sick or anything.. In case i am not super women that day and miss it..

My GWP loved the stuff as a puppy. We went on a walk every AM were deer poop was everywhere and he would chow. An old timer told me that it was bad business because he was likely to turn into a deer chaser. I broke him of it with vocal commands when he was little and reinforced it with the collar when he got older.