Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blueroof

buoys removed and lots of deadheads around Stillwater

8 posts in this topic

The coast guard removed the buoys this morning around Stillwater. Lots of debris, including some rather pesky deadheads floating around with all the water this Fall. The river went up another 5 inches from 7am to noon today, you need to add 1-2ft to the Lakemaster contours (where accurate.)

LB

Went out to the Hudson launch and everything looked flooded. The loading docks were flooded, and the river choppy from the strong winds. Turned around and went lake fishing instead. frown.gif

My buddy and I fished the river from just north of Prescott through Hudson channel on Sunday thinking the overcast, chop drizzle would turn in some decent fish. Unfortunately I was WRONG and got SKUNKED for the first time ever on the river. When I say skunked I mean no fish not even a sheephead???? Talked to fellow fishermen and none of them were catching anything. Can someone tell me if it was the rising river or why I couldn't catch a fish? We saw the Coast Guard guys pulling buoys and they actually loaded their boat up right after we did at Beanie's. My fishing partner got the thumbs up from them for putting the boat straight on the trailer despite the fast current and whitecaps on the first attempt. I don't know what those two did to get stuck with that duty on such a lousy day. I saw at least 5 trunk size dead heads floating in the Hudson channel, and the current was so swift in the Kinny channel it wasn't worth even trying. Just had to vent as it looked like the perfect conditions and then to blank after sitting in rain sucked. I did bump into the Griz at a local watering hole later and tried to get his wisdom and he just laughed and said he knew it would be bad and that is why he went pheasant hunting confused.gif

Got on the river around 11:00 am yesterday. trolled south of 94 bridge...

Caught 16",18" Eye and 1 small sheephead.

Caught all of them in 20+ feet of water.

Started shallow and moved deeper as the day progressed...When the wind picked up and the rain started was when I caught them all back to back. Don't know if I was just trolling the wrong depth or the rain.

I thought it was going to rain so we left at about 1:30pm.

Meet a guy at the Hudson launch...he says he caught six up north near bayport - also about 20+.

Tried trolling shallow to 20 FOW with no luck. Bounced lindy rigs, and jigs. Nothing....... Very humbling.

While trolling continually had leaves foul our lures even the deep divers. The only fish-like thing I caught was a 36 inch tree branch that actually snapped right at the boat so I don't think I can even count that.........

Going to try lake fishing this next weekend confused.gif

When the waters up like this try shallow shallower and even shallower, if its real flooded try in the rees, river eyes are not as effected by sunlight because of the stained water. try pitching jigs with plastics (ringworm), the constant movement of the tail on the ringworm puts out moer vibration and allows the fish to find it in muddier water easier, dont rule out rattle traps either or other loud crankbaits!

hey blue i seen that crappie. nice one. 3 lb. white is awsome man. grin.gif anyway since you are able to post pics would you post my 31'' walleye if i send it to you via e-mail? i'm a puter illiterate so i can't. i still have your e-mail. glad your catchin' again and not just fishin' grin.gifcool.gifgrin.gif syotw

bigfish, for sure. Can't wait to see it.

LB