Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Duckslayer

Preserving a duck to mount

9 posts in this topic

I got a gorgeous drake Woodie (arent they all) that I am going to have mounted in my dads memory. What is the best way to preserve it till I can get it to the taxidermist? Thanks! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Double or triple bag it and put it in the freezer.

I've read in several places the best thing to do is to slip it into a panyhouse to preserve the feathers and then do the triple bag freezeing. Congrats on your mount.

Oh yeah, forgot about the pantyhose. Great tip. Try doing a search, someone started a thread about this a couple years ago. Pantyhose will helps lock down those feathers.

DON'T put the bird in pantyhose...it's a common mistake (didn't know till I did a little online research). Go to birdmanstudios (Contact Us Please) com. He's got tips for bird care. hope this helps.

If you have a foodsaver vaccume seal it.

Panty hose birds are no problem. Saran wrap is how I store birds short term IE 1 year. Multiple layers wrapped with the head under a wing.Vaccume sealing is a excellent long term method. But if your taking to the taxidermist soon dont bother..

The whole line of bull about nylon storage of birds is just that.,. The feather barbles relock during the wash and drying.The only problem with that method is when I see a student try to slide the bird out backwards in order to save the nylon...All thats required is to "cut" the nylon open ..

Mutha, please send me an email, jcschmitz@mchsi.com I would like to talk about having the mount done. Thanks././Jimbo

The one thing you DON'T want to do is wrap the bird in newspaper. Very common misconception!

Bread bags fit great around birds. Carefully tuck the head back and slide into the bag and wrap it up snugly with masking tape. I'll then put it into another bag after that, wrap with tape.

Pantyhose works as well, your taxidermist just has to cut if off as previously mentioned.

Congrats on your bird man!