Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gman2002

force fetch help

3 posts in this topic

help !! about 2 weeks ago i got my 8 month old lab back from the trainers and i was really happy with the ff training he went through . what i would do is this .every night i would walk him to the park and work on his ob on the way . he would heel great and hold the dummy all the way . when we got there then i would do some marks . the first week he did fine a little sloppy with the dummy , but about 80 % of the time would come right back , heel, sit , and hold it till i took it from him ,the other 20 % i would need a little coaxing with the collar because he would dilly dally around coming back. but once i hit the collar he would be right there .so the problem - he now all of a sudden comes back heels , sits , and prcedes to drop the dummy , i pick it back up , put it in his mouth and say hold , he'll then hold till i take it, but now every time he comes back and sits he drops it . what happened ? i know i have to back up with his program to some point and re-enforce ,but to where and why did this happen ?? remember he's just 8 months but what happened ,also i have always only used enough force to get him to comply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

so the problem - he now all of a sudden comes back heels , sits , and prcedes to drop the dummy , i pick it back up , put it in his mouth and say hold , he'll then hold till i take it, but now every time he comes back and sits he drops it .


its not your job to pick it up at that point. he's been commanded and has not completed his job. basically he parked the car at the end of the driveway and not in the garage. Then you come out and park it where it should be.

reinforce your fetch to hand. send the dog out, as he returns repeat hold as he comes around to heel. if he drops it, hit him with a "nick" and give him your retrieve command. You make him pick it up and hold it and you tell him to release. IMO if the dog knows what to do and fully understands and is commanded to do such command and doesnt,then he should be corrected and recommanded. If it is a force taught command, the dog should be corrected with force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

scroll down a page or 2 and all your FF questions will be answered. This topic has been pretty much beat to death on this forum.

You will find several times this has come up if you scroll down page after page.

GOOD LUCK with getting him/her finished on the FF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Posts

    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Big Hatches usually get the slow bite over in a hurry! Hopefully this will only last a few more days! Boated 22 walleyes today but only managed to keep 7 small eaters in 6 hours of fishing. Cliff
    • monstermoose78
      They used to have a nice gun range but some stupid locals shot their garage and blamed the range!
    • gunner55
      I'm only 8-10 miles south of smurfy with the same experience on the lake. Mn Fishing Pros is a group of 4 guys who guide in the area & so is Jeff Sundin. Not sure what any of them have for experience on that lake but you might try to contact 1 of them to see if they have a opening that fits your time slot or they might even have some info on the lake that they are willing to share 
    • Wheres_Walter
      Headed up this weekend and next weekend.  WIll be fishing mostly Frazer.  Sounds like the hatch is on.  If anyone has been fishing walleye on frazer in the past few days, got any tips on depth?  Presentation?     Sounds like crawlers are the ticket right now.   Thanks
    • blue_healer_guy
      Boy, some people must just hate their life.
    • Hoey
      I recommend considering other lakes.  URL by the 4th is nearly void of walleye.  8 years or so ago, we did a two-family trip and only caught fresh water drum.  Star Trib Article
    • eyeguy 54
      http://www.startribune.com/monster-muskie-found-on-mille-lacs-exceeds-state-record/431203243/
    • 2thepointsetters
      I was honored to be part of the "Veterans on Lake Superior" trip again this year. Channel six did a nice story about the Veterans. They were a great group out on the water.   http://www.kbjr6.com/video?clipId=13445592&autostart=true
    • 2thepointsetters
          Barry is retired. I bought his boat and fished her unitl I got the 38'er. Team Crush is still using the old Whitewater.   Barry does work on my boat occasionally as the first mate.    
    • portageguy
      Motor use day or camping.  Pick up day before or day of, May1-September 30. Fill out permit at entrance and put in box when exiting or mail in.  October 1-April 30