• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lower unit seal??

sirsunnyslayer

Question

How hard is it to replace the lower unit seal(s) on a mid 90's Johnson with the V4 lower unit? The dealer in my area shot me a quote of 4 hrs and I figure if it dosen't take any special tools I can do it myself and save the cash. Is this a DIY job or is it best left to the pros?

3 answers to this question

Leave it to the pros. I don't do mine, to give you an idea.

You can find another shop with better rates, where are you located ?

Its not that difficult, but you do need seal installation tools or some people use deepwell sockets and get by. Personally I use and would recommend the special tools. Its about a 2-3 hr job, but you could also install a new water pump at the same time with no added labor.

Agree with Valv 100%. And have them replace the water pump impellor while they are in there. Anything over 3 hours is gouging. The job does require special tools and therre are some some tricks of the trade since OMC uses double seals on the driveshaft and prop shaft. Ex-OMC dealer (26 years in the business)