Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Steckelberg

shock clorinating wells

9 posts in this topic

i have a 75 foot dug well and i need to know how to shock clorinate it for bacteria..i know how to do it with a 4 or 5 inch drilled well, but a dug well i have no clue

What diameter is it?

I have never heard of a dug well, bored well's are usually about 3' in diameter.

What type of casing is around it?

Here is a link that might help you out.

www.metrokc.gov/health/disaster/wells.htm#bored

You might want to call the nearest well company in your area,but what they show for drilled is about right. Granular is the best method to use.

Hope this helps.

Farmer

the diameter is 2.5 to 3 ft, 75ft deep, the water level is about 10ft below the surface, and there is a water line down the hole that leads to the pump in the basement....this is a old well that is on a farm from 1883

Maybe you should'nt advertise too much.Your well in Mn. is illeagle,even a well pit around a 4-6" casing is illeagle! no surface water should be capable of entering any well except naturally.

the well is inside a building and there is no possible way suface water can enter into the well.....but is it still consider illegal if this well is on a historic century farm?

mpsteckel:

I don't know about MN laws at all, but in Iowa a bored or dug well is legal as long as it has a surface containment on top. Typically cement slabs or a wood platform to cover it. Your best bet is to look at the MN DNR website for your state in their site there should be a link to water resources. It might be advised to contact your local well companies to see what you should do. We have just drilled a well, but as mentioned your in MN and we are in Iowa. We found info. off our DNR website as to legalities and specifics for any type of well system as for state level regulations ect... yet we still needed to contact our county for their requirements. Where yours is already an exisiting and established well, there isn't to much concern, only that the top is covered in some sort of manner.

check out water resources for your state.

Farmer

In Minnesota the Dept. of Health sets the standards for wells.If you go to their site you can find all the info you'll need.

Don't think anyone can give you a hard time with an existing well.

Determine how many gallons your well holds.

36" casing = 53 gallons per foot.

65' deep x 53 gallons = 3445 gallons.

14 oz of household bleach treats 100 gallons of water.

Your looking at around 475 oz of household bleach.

Take your well cap off.

Mix the bleach with water.

Pour into your well.

Run a garden hose till you smell the bleach.

Use the garden hose and rinse the well casing and cap.

Run the water though all the lines and faucets, tanks, toilets or what ever you have till you smell bleach.

That solution should sit for overnight.

Don't drain the well into your septic.

thank you for the help...i am going to do this next weekend when we are gone for one of the days