Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishfart

? for theoilman

11 posts in this topic

Is there an amsoil product you would recomend for oilfilled hubs on a ranger trailor ?

Oh, I am sure there is! They have grease and heavy oils! I would check them out! Synthetic is some cool stuff!

The oilman comes around every once and awhile! He is in Florida!

Accordign to Tie Down Engineering's website all they really specify is 50wt minimum with 80-90w prefered.

Hi all, I check in most every day doing searches on amsoil, oilman, and occasionally a few others.

I don't know about the spec on your Ranger trailer wet hubs, but with semi trucks the normal recommendation is to use the same oil in the wet hub (front steering axle) as what is used in the differentials.

Using this as a guideline I would recommend using AMSOIL's Severe Gear 75W-90 gear lube, more info

{Semi-trailer wet hubs use several different lubes, some use the same as the tractor front axle, but some now use a semi-fluid synthetic grease, viscosity grade '00'. However from AMSOIL the smallest available package is a 5-gallon pail, so not an option for your trailer.}

Thank's guy's, I've had good results with amsoil in everything else, why not my hubs.

Which is the recommended version for a pickup truck? Do they make filters that have the grippy stuff on the end like Fram? They should if not.

I assume you mean the oil for your differential: The same 75W-90 AMSOIL Severe Gear is the best differential oil available. AMSOIL has just completed a study comparing 14 popular gear lubes, click here to read or download Note: available in 75W-90, 75W-110 for the ultra-severe 75W-90 applications, and 75W-140 for most 1 ton duallies and most Ford trucks.

No, the AMSOIL oil filters don't have the 'grippy stuff', but the AMSOIL oil filters do test the best filter - removing more and smaller dirt than all others, more info.

Ah, that grippy stuff just makes filters get over tightened when you put a new one one!

If you would like, they sell gloves with that same grippy stuff on them.

That or just use a good old filter wrench to loosen only. Hand tighten filters only and lube rubber seal on a new filter to help seal come off when filter is changed in future. If the old filter gasket breaks off and sticks on eng. block and then you screw a new filter on, it turns into a large mess. Oil every where! I hate to see good Ams oil go to waste!

I guess I'm supposed to use straight 50 wt in the hubs. Would I be safe or better off using the severe gear oil ?

Actually a SAE50 engine oil and a SAE90 gear oil are very close to the same. One would think they are very different, but what is different is the viscosity definitions. Engine oil viscosity uses one definition while gear oil viscosity uses a different definition -- the tests are different too. A 50 engine oil viscosity is between 18 and 22 centistokes viscosity at 100 deg C, while a 90 gear oil is between 15 and 24 centistokes at 100 deg C. (Yes I had to look it up, I don't try to remember these kinds of numbers.)

My preference for a wet hub would be gear oil over engine oil - I would think the loads on the roller bearings would be better protected by the EP (extreme pressure) additives in a gear oil better.

Thank you for all the good info oilman, I'm going to use the severe gear oil.