• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

favorite duck call....what to buy?

Curious what duck calls you guys like to use? I have been using primos's cheap "over the counter" packaged calls for a number of years ($25 range) and have gotten by alright but I am looking to upgrade to a better, more realistic sounding call. It is hard to make a decision when you look in a magazine and they have 500 types of duck calls in all different materials, colors, shapes, and sizes not to mention prices anywhere from $50-$250.

Can anyone suggest a specific call that they like to use and have seen it perform well in the field? I would like to stay under a $100 if at all possible. Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

-Lip

Echo poly calls are great, single or double reed. You can pick one up for about 30 bucks. H.S., mick lacy, and buck gardner all make decent calls for about the same price. I've also heard good things about southern game calls, but haven't tried one.

Zink's XR-2 is probably the truest sounding double reed on the market, if you can blow it. Some people struggle with its air style. Personally, I would not leave home without mine and I carry 3 of them. grin.gif If your iterested, you can find good buys on them in the classified sections of most of these websites. Lots availabe on Averys site.

100_0798.jpg

I would avoid and XR-2 if possible. The new style's are hard to blow and require more air than most duck calls.

Echo XLT's are probably the best duck call out there right now. It's easy to blow and sounds great. You can get a used one for around $100.

Sureshot 650 (double reed)18 bucks or less.

It won't win any style points for looks, engravings, or competitions.

But, you won't find a more natural sounding call IMO, and it's cheap! Not a quiet timber call, for open water-loud. Not a clean chatter/feed style call, but great for quacks and high balls.

Tim Grounds "SWEET-MEAT". good sounding call only like $50 but if your ok with spending the money the XR-2 is the way to go, for me anyways.

If you not any good with calls to begin with I would recommend...

Buying a bottle of merlot

and calling

'here duck, here duck, here duck'

My three year old is sounding better than her grand-pa... trying to figure out how I can get them calls away from him.

What to buy some used calls? grin.gif

Quote:

I would avoid and XR-2 if possible. The new style's are hard to blow and require more air than most duck calls.

Don't confuse that with the fact that they sound better than most duck calls as well. Sometimes you have to "learn" how to use a new tool.

Try this link http://www.kdcallsonline.com/ Hand made wood acrylic combos made by a CO in Glenwood. I've blown both the double reed (I ended up buying one of these) and single reed duck calls and his single reed goose call and all I can say is WOW!