• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Black Cloud---NASTY----Pic included

FrontenacPike

• 4 months later...

you have trouble with bc jamming to huh. what kinda gun do u have.

These shells are in my opinion the best shells to come about. Obviously they destroy small ducks, so instead of complaining use a standard shell, and use the BC on geese, mallards, and some of the late season divers that just don't want to die. And yes if you shoot the bigger birds at really close distances you'll blow the [PoorWordUsage] out of them, but the same goes for most shells.

Just my $.02

Originally Posted By: kingfisher1
somewhat off the subject, but in a way related. In all reality, why do we need all these new fangled super duper powered non toxic or steel shells that shoot 50 to 60 yards when you can know your limitations and let them come in a little closer. It's one thing to shoot a duck/goose at 50 or 60 yards. Personally, I get more enjoyment when I can call a bird in and take it at less than 30 yards or let them land within 10 yards. What ever happened to letting them come in a little closer? Where's the sportsmanship in shooting birds at 50+ yards? It seems that some are more concerned with bringing home a limit that it seems that they'll shoot at just about anything and at just about any range. Besides guys who are out duck hunting just about every day of the season, there aren't too many people that can identify a duck at over 45 yards. If you can't ID it, don't shoot it. I'm all for making clean kills and making sure the shot counts, but for me, that means letting them come in a little closer.

They dont always come in close. I've been on late season hunting trips in Kansas where the Geese are educated and they do one pass at 50 yds out and thats the only shot you get. Maybee we didnt have enough dekes out or something else but there is one situation where it's nice to be able to reach out and knock down those birds.

• 3 weeks later...

Originally Posted By: HUNTFISH69
These shells are in my opinion the best shells to come about. Obviously they destroy small ducks, so instead of complaining use a standard shell, and use the BC on geese, mallards, and some of the late season divers that just don't want to die. And yes if you shoot the bigger birds at really close distances you'll blow the [PoorWordUsage] out of them, but the same goes for most shells.

Just my $.02

BC was all i shot last season and i've got to say, DON'T BUY THEM, they are just nasty, a waste of time, and they will literally ruin your whole day... I'm a big duck meat eater and i would like to spend more then a couple of hours hunting ducks...

Always less meat... less hunting time.. and its no fun when its drops per shots...

"Doing it, cause Just LOVE It!!"

Justloveit,

Your right they dont always come closer. The birds are already educated the day after opener. There may be many reasons your birbs don't come closer: They are not tired (from migration), you have a bad spread, not enough cover, bad caller, ect.... My question is What is the fun in shooting a bird thats not commited to your spread? You must be pass shooting at 50+ yards?

BTW, a couple years ago, just before shooting time, we had a flock of malards circling us. We waited about 8-10 mins until it was shooting time. By that time they were landing less that 10 yards away. their were 4 of us. All using normal shells, with stock chokes. We droped about 7 or 8 if I remember correctly, and 2 or 3 of them were just mutilated. Nothing left. First time this has ever happened to any of us. We were anything but expecting this when we went to pick them up. Although we wasted a couple mallards (unknowingly), it is a lot more sportsman like to shoot them to close than blast birds with the meanest shell known to man. I just don't see the fun in that. Learn to be a better hunter and they WILL come in!

well said eyehunter! once you figure it out you will not have a problem finishing birds and you will have a lot more fun watching them come in with cupped wings rather than taking prayer shots with gimmick shells.

A wise duck hunter once said you don't really have the right to take a bird unless you've fooled him into decoying...with the exception of spring snows I've tried to adhere to this philosophy myself.

Well with all this hype if you don't like black cloud don't shoot it. Pretty simple. As for me i put a couple rounds through last year, but i still like working with 3 1/2 BBB on those big canadian honkers, and 3 1/2 number 4 for my first two shots when duck hunting. The Benelli shoots Fasteel and Federal equally good and there is no complaining in my part. If i miss it usually is my fault not the guns. As for being better hunters and getting the birds in range, i think most people are ethical,and want to make the cleanest kill possible. Sure i know we have all seen it happen where someone doesn't but it happens to everyone. I know i lost my first deer archery hunting last year, and i made me sick to my stomach. But if i had the chance to shoot again would i, you bet. And if you see someone who is busting away, well then maybe have a polite word with them and bring it to there attention. Who knows maybe its there first time out, and they don't know better. No reason to go in screaming, what a way to turn someone away from a great sport.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If theres anything I hate more its sitting on shore trying to call in some ducks on one side of a pond/lake and the ducks are coming from the other side of the water where there are other hunters....and as you watch the birds circle at about 75 yards up on the other side of the lake...and proceed to watch clouds of smoke scare your birds away....give them a chance to come in....wouldn't you rather shoot at a bird you can see up close and hear the wind running through their feathers??? that sound is one of the best reasons to go duck hunting....anyway....what are your chance of killing a duck outside of 50 yards?? Not to mention..what are your chances of injuring a duck and ruining the bird for life if you shoot at it outside of 50?