• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This a hot topic of so I stay out of them. But I will say that I really don't like the 4 WH. Like Jimmy posted he can travel 100 times more distance that a person walking so where do think the person is walking, in those 100 miles. Shackbash stated that he uses his to get to remote areas since he is not driving thru the woods, I am assuming he is using trails that people walk. I have no objection to using fourwheelers if you are the first one at the trail head. It just makes me mad when I am parked at a trail head and four wheelers zooms past. I do not know how safe it would be to grouse hunt during deer season. I wait all year to hunt the second weekend and nothing is worse than sitting in your stand and have a grouse hunter walk by>>>later the load

Yukon,

There are execptions to every rule.

But what this guy was doing is illegal (unless they have changed laws about hunting from a motorized Veh.)! I do not know if a round was in the chamber or not, but it was uncased and in his lap! I know even a conceal and carry permit does not allow one to be in a veh., while it was idling and have a rifle in his lap! Maybe he had permission or a doctors note, but what I saw was a lazy guy, doing what he wanted. If I would see him again and get license number or call him into CO, if he is in the right then it will work out fine for him.

As for grouse hunting during a deer hunting season, I do not recommend it and I will most likely never do it again. But when one hunts public land, they are subject to deal with boobs like me! grin.gif

Quote:

I got a question for some of you more experienced guys. I've never hunted grouse on a four wheeler, but have spent my fair amount of time walking for them. I would say 75% of the grouse I flush get up when I stop walking, and the others are ones I get when I am walking slowly. I very rarely have a flush at normal walking speeds. By my logic, wouldn't most ATVers just drive by most of the birds? Sure they may cover more ground, but they won't flush a bird unless it is sitting right in the middle of the trail.

They drive by alot of them. Ive shot many birds after a 4 wheeler hunter has kindly passed me by.

I took my nine year old daughter grouse hunting this weekend for MEA, we saw a few road hunters on atv's. She asked me what these guys were doing and I told her. Her reply,"Man, that's lazy." I couldn't have said it better. I've seen people riding double, going for grouse on a four wheeler, I've never seen a person do the whole twenty yard thing while road hunting, they just uncase the gun if it isn't already, and shoot fromt the atv. I've seen atv's and cars/trucks not let me by them when driving on narrow roads because either they're so intent on what's in the ditch or else they don't want to let me by so I can shoot "their" grouse. I sure hope this stupidity and laziness comes to an end soon. If you have a disability, fine, but if it's that you just want to sight see or four wheel, leave the guns at home. Grouse hunting is not a motor sport.

There's two sides to every debate and that is why this is such a hot button topic. I could reply "get off your high horse" or quit with the "holier than thou" thing, but I won't cool.gif

If hunting the right way is holier than though, then I'll take the label. Shooting grouse off 4 wheelers is just more fuel for the anti-hunting and anti-atv/snowmobile element of society.

I dont do that.. but if someone wants to , more power to them, i al glad we live in a free country, well not always free.. but you get the drift..

Now come on all, i even in the first part of this post have said i have done something like that , and i am sure each one of you have done something to this nature as well.. I even bet that more then a few pouched once in their lives.. It isn't legal so we go wont go into that,, But we are not all perfect people...

So i say lets start thinking of the ice and those Lakers waiting to be taken soon..

Good Question. Mostly just don't hunt birds anymore. When I was a kid I hunted pheasants in central minnesota. Moved to Northern minnesota and falls have been so busy with other things I have just never got one.

I couldn't help but add my two cents, i own a four wheeler and frequently use it to get far and away from the crowds to hunt grouse. One of the great things about them is that you can get far down rugged trails that no truck or car could access and that would take 24 hours to walk. And you'd be amazed at the scenery and little off trails that most have no clue about. I can profess that i do not shoot birds from my wheeler nor do i transport my firearm with a round chambered. Am i lazy?? I think not. I'm just of the opinion that if nothing is being harmed other than a few who are annoyed than this is a non-issue.

Quote:

Good Question. Mostly just don't hunt birds anymore. When I was a kid I hunted pheasants in central minnesota. Moved to Northern minnesota and falls have been so busy with other things I have just never got one.

Yukon

Where in the north part of MN

About 10 years ago, i was working at a nursing home, and this one lady who was very new tried to put a 300 women into a chair lift, the lady went back wards, and i dove more or less to catch her head so it wouldn't hit the ground and i herniated two disks in my lower back, physical therapy at the nursing home for months, head sand bags, ultra sound heat and so on , and months later it wasn't helping in fact after i was done with that, i was more sore then i went in, then this thing call siattica ( i have no clue how to spell that word) came in toll, with shoting pain from my back down my leg, so to marshfield at the bone and joint i went..doc he said i could have hydrocort shots in my spinal fluid but can only have 3 in my life time..so i decided to wait till i got older, when i will need them more.. So after 10 years, i still live with pain and have shooting pain down my leg now and then, but i can get out of the bed myself before i had to crawl to the bathroom, i couldnt wash my own hair , nothing, i would cry when i moved.. so i am thankful for not having that kind of pain anymore even if i deal with some pain everyday.. When the weather changes it hurts more... And then theres my ankle but thats another story another time lol..

So i guess i just wanted to let you know Yukon, i fully understand the pain you went through with your back

That's a good way to put it and I agree with you. I also can honestly say that I never shoot them off of my ATV either.

This post has brought up some bad feelings and I personally think it should be dusted. Everyone has an opinion about it and opinions are like you-know-whats every one has one, but not everyone wants to hear it. We can debate this one till were blue in the face and we won't get anywhere with it except mad at each other.

Were all family here, they wont stay mad for long LOL.. besides i think they like it, cant get far at home with a good argument,,HEHE

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I agree that we won't gt anywhere and will lock the thread now.