• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I hope I don't offend anyone but I am getting increasingly irritated every year by the large number of road hunters near my cabin where I do the majority of my Grouse hunting. I have always viewed Grouse hunting as a walking sport, not slowly driving around trying to find them sitting on roads and logging trails. Even worse to me are folks who drive around on four-wheelers 'hunting' Grouse. Anyone else feel this way or am I to hyper-sensitive? confused.gif

I dont consider that hunting either. Where is the satisfaction in shooting a bird you saw while driving down a road. Get out of the truck/4 wheeler and get in the woods.

I wont say i have never done that, a few times after a 4 or 5 mile hike on the trails, i head back to the jeep get in and drive a mile and i see one, on trail, i have got out and walked away from the jeep and i have shot a grouse. I do not however drive along a road with my window down and shoot or jump out and shoot.

I feel that isn't sportsmanship hunter, and i think so many hunters have lost that sportsmanship in this. We all seen the ones i am speaking about, getting to their stands with a 12 pack, shooting at anything that moves on the last day, poaching,what is in the sport if we draw the deer to a corn pile and sit there and shot it while its eating?

I wont start,this is just a bit of my mind

I think most of the people who 4 wheel for grouse are almost more in it for 4 wheel end, than the hunting end. Sure you stumble accross a grouse once and awhile, but in the end you have to get off and go into woods to find grouse! I feel the guy who puts on our wheeler trip every year is in it more for the wheel'in than hunt'in! He plans out trip and brags about these "great Grouse Spots" of old times and they seem to have a lot a major mudd holes on the way and the "great grouse Spots" never pan out! crazy.gif

Last year up by effie, my wheeler broke down the last day of our grouse hunting trip. I told the other guys to go out and have fun! Me and my dog walked from early in AM to later afternoon. My dog an I got back about the same time as the buddies on wheelers did, but my dog and I had birds to show for our trip and wheeler guys had none!

The one thing I have found, that is a great tool with wheelers and grouse hunting is getting your self and gear back to a great area and getting off and walking! The wheeler can get you to some great area's, that walking to could not (in one day). Besides this, I walk every time, minus my yearly effie trip!

I do not care if someone uses a four wheeler and I do not look down at them! This the good old US of A and they have the right to do it (untill state or DNR stops them)..

On a wheeler, you miss so much nature stuff!

Good luck!

P.S.

I am not sure, but I have kind of found out this a very touchy subject on FM. I do know know why? But I would tread lightly! I found this out talking about my Effie wheel trip and was accused of starting up something I had no idea about! cool.gif

As for road hunting, I just do not see how it can be done from inside a veh... Again, if one wants drive down road and get out, unzip gun case and go in woods after a grouse that was spooked up! More power to them!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It has been a hot topic, one I've taken part in myself.

Like the weather you can talk all you want about it but it doesn't change anything. You can change your hunting style from trails to hitting the woods. I know thats hard to except when that favorite trail you once had to yourself is used by ATVs. I avoid those places now, the hunt is a lot more enjoyable when your not fretting over when the next ATV will come by.

I think Shackbash is correct in it’s the good old USA and until it is taken away let those do what they do. I love taking a ride on my wheeler and if I see a bird I will get my distances away from the wheeler and take the walk after the bird. People do many things all over the woods to relax and enjoy the out doors. If you don’t do things the same way that others may find enjoyable that’s ok. If they aren’t hurting you, causing damage to property or breaking the law, leave it be. Some one may not like what you do in certain cases and if they take offence to it you may not like it. It seems every one needs to just chill out and enjoy what we have, some day it will most likely be taken away or made illegal.

Some modern technologies people may not like and others do. Most of the time when people complain about motorized vehicles is because they don’t have one, can’t afford one or have never used one. Then they make big stinks about them, or see what a small percentage of people may abuse something and blow it all out of proportion.

Hunting in a truck/ wheeler or walking if done legally it’s the persons right. And no one should be saying anything about it . If you don’t agree with it, don’t do it. Do your own thing.

I think people need to lighten up. smile.gif

I love to fourwheel and I use it, as mentioned, to get to my favorite trail heads or more remote areas. I know everyone has the right to do whatever they want, as long as it is legal. I guess I just miss the way the woods used to be as a young boy, quiet and peaceful. If I'm not going too many miles away from home base I will hop on my mountain bike and sling my case over my shoulder. Quiet and unobtrusive. Peace. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

I'm frustrated to the point of not hunting anywhere unless its foot travel only. If you head up North on a weekend its a friggin 4 wheeler convention. I agree with what was said about guys doing it for the wheeling and not really for the hunting, but they still screw it over for guys on foot. Each year I'm using the bird gun less and the fishing poles more. I have nothing against wheelers, it just that they seem to be everywhere during bird season. bring on the ice baby,

Dave

A relaxing fall day up in Ontario between Northern Light and Sag would include a 30 mile ride on the quad, stopping and shooting some birds on the trail, or walking through the woods after them, stopping for a little fishing at a remote lake or river, fresh fish and grouse over a camp fire along with a cold beer or two for lunch, a nap on a back fitting rock in the sun, a little more shooting and fishing before the return ride to the cabin for jammy time.

Too bad I'm sitting at work about 800 miles south of there right now.

GoNorth

Is this really the correct forum for this post?

Anyways I enjoy both walking and road hunting. I do get more of a thrill from walking with the dog, but I do like riding my ATV and seeing a lot of scenery. And when I am ridding my ATV down a trail and see a hunter ahead of me I turn around out of respect.

Road hunters don’t bother me to much, since they keep a lot of birds just out off site along the roads, then me a hunting partner and dog just walk off the trails about 30-40 yards and shoot a bunch of birds. Last Sunday evening we shot 10 birds in the afternoon and talked to 3 road hunters who didn’t see a bird.

I understand what you are saying about ethics, but keep in mind different people enjoy different things.

I usually don't, but about 7 years ago i broke my ankle and was on crutches, i would ride the trails by our cabin a little bit, ended up getting one that year. usually i like to walk.

Road Hunting isnt even hunting. Its driving around and shooting at stuff. To each his own within the limits of the law, but what a waste it is to drive around when walking is so much better and the right way to do it. Me and my son walk everywhere and Im teaching him to hunt the right way, not the lazy way. PLUS ITS HEALTHY TO WALK! When the 4 wheeler/for pursuit of grouse ban comes, I wont cry...I'll probably laugh.

I have nothing against people who are physically unable to walk riding wheelers(excluding obesity)..as they should be allowed to use whatever can help them get out and enjoy somewhat of a normal life through the sport of hunting.

Quote:

Where is the satisfaction in shooting a bird you saw while driving down a road.

On my plate later that evening grin.gif.

I am kidding.

I have two black labs and getting out; getting my feet and their paws on the ground; getting their noses darting around; and seeing those tails wagging is actually more rewarding than shooting the birds. Once you go with dogs that love to hunt, it is an entirely different ball game and you won't know how you could have gone without them.

I will take the argument a step further. How can you go bird hunting without a dog? wink.gifgrin.gif

Oh you can hunt birds without a dog, just not nearly as productive. I hunt with the dog sometimes and without at other times. When hunting without the dog I like to walk very slowly, scanning every inch of woods and listening carefully. I feel totally in tune with nature when I hunt this way. And if I flush a bird and get no shot I like to try and walk it down, ie, sneak up on it for a second chance. I love that challenge.

As the earlier posts have stated, to each his own. I like hopping on my wheeler and going for all day rides. I cover 100 times the amount of ground as a person on foot and I get to enjoy alot more scenery. I don't really care if I get a bird or not, I bought my ATV for just this reason (among others) and I'm gonna use it. grin.gif

Ya, funny how one goes a little commando with out a dog. Like being in jungle, like Jesse "head for the choppers".

Since I started hunting with a dog, I found just the opposite! Make noise, move fast, shack downed trees, jump on them a couple times and then STOP!!!! Wait for a minute or two and command dogs forward! Go a ways making crashing noise and whistle blows, talk to your buddy or dog and then STOP!! Wait another minute or two, look around and give the command to go forward! Nine times out of ten when one is in good birdie area, they flush just as you start forward! I think the sudden "STOP!" spooks bird and makes them think you see it, and then the instant you push forward it spooks them into flushing.

I also always will go after a flushed bird with dogs! It’s the easiest bird to get, scared and you know were the landed (most times)!

Jimmy,

I found the opposite when grouse hunting with my wheeler about seeing scenery! It’s like driving a car, nine times out of ten your eyes have to be focus on trail in front of you (at least the one we get on)! CRP grass on the side of wheeler trail hides a ton of neat stuff, you never see when riding the wheeler! Dead bucks, dead porcupines, old stuff.

Again, wheelers are great for hunting grouse! I love to get on them and get to remote spots and get off and walk! Also the cruse down that narrow, curving, steep drop off trail is pretty cool, but it does get old at times! Moving around at a snales pace and passing by great area's to get off and hunt, knowing we are going to ride for the second half of the day and not see anything. The yearly trip I take grouse hunting on 4 wheelers I feel could be planned a little better! The past couple of years, it has been very hard to see or flush a grouse on a wheeler trail! The only grouse we do get is when we get to a birdie area and get off! Could just be the area we hunt!

Ironically, I might not go this year do to these issues and an argument I got into with the guy who plans our trip on this same subject (walking or riding)! I have been going for 5 years now and I love the area, but do not like how trip is planned out and he will not change the trip agenda (at least the last time this was brought up).

That's not to say I don't walk- I do but getting to that point is half the fun for me. I do walk alot in the woods and do enjoy the peace and the smells (nothing gets my motor revving like the smell of fall) but I love to ride my wheeler too. It's like having the best of both worlds!

Like most people said, to each his own. In my opinion, driving around shooting birds on the trail isn't hunting. That is just my opinion.

What does aggrivate me is when you have 4 wheelers drive right on past you while you are walking down a trail trying to be quiet. This is especially frustrating when the trail your walking down is a dead end and you are 2 miles down it-how rude!

The other thing that bothers me is the complete lack of respect for posted roads. Private Drive and No Trespassing signs should not be a green light to just drive where one wants and tear up someone else's property...Argue with me on this one all you want, but it happens ALOT.

Like I said, to each his own with 4 wheelers...just have some sportsmanship for other hunters and private landowners. wink.gif

Justin

Quote:

Road Hunting isnt even hunting. Its driving around and shooting at stuff. To each his own within the limits of the law, but what a waste it is to drive around when walking is so much better and the right way to do it. Me and my son walk everywhere and Im teaching him to hunt the right way, not the lazy way. PLUS ITS HEALTHY TO WALK! When the 4 wheeler/for pursuit of grouse ban comes, I wont cry...I'll probably laugh.

I have nothing against people who are physically unable to walk riding wheelers(excluding obesity)..as they should be allowed to use whatever can help them get out and enjoy somewhat of a normal life through the sport of hunting.

Some people who you excluded obesity as you say are that way from meds like steroids.. I gain alot of weight from having cancer and the chemo drugs and steroids made me gain weight. And i would rather have the weight, thats slowly coming off then being dead..

Just because you don't like bigger people that shouldn't have been brought up with hunting the way you said that in your post, you have no clue what the people who are big have been through or what they are going through. I find what you said hurtful. I ma glad to be alive, and i hope someday this doesn't happen to you and others will look at you the way you look at others..

very hurtful

To Each there own thing man. I don't think that a person should tell another person how to live, or hunt. But every hunter,fisher, sportsman should show curtesy to every other. I have a lot of acreage and maybe I have been lucky but trespassing has not been a problem. I like to hunt both ways and miss the days of hunting behind a good dog.

Justin,

You kind of make it sound easy 4 wheeling for grouse. It really is not! If you are law abiding and follow the guide lines of the law (like my group and I do), it takes a lot of B.S. to 4 wheeler hunt for grouse!

A typical scenario: (We will by-pass all of the unloading and loading of wheelers and loading gear on to them! This is an extra burden, which is fun in a way. More so unloading than loading grin.gif!)

Rolling down trail with about 3-4 wheelers motoring along! Point man or someone sees a grouse! That person gets everyone to stop, so someone does not bang into someone! Once stopped, guns have to be uncased from quiver and dogs have to be let out! Then you have to proceed to the proper distance away from wheelers and load gun! At this point you start to walk into woods where grouse was seen to go in at, ending you right back to walk hunting for grouse. Add in having waders on for mud holes, rain gear for flying mud and helmet and eye goggles for saftey of head and eyes! It turns into a big job. Sure you could shave something here or something there, but you end up breaking the law and being unsafe, which out in the middle of no where! Saftey is a key factor!

It’s a lot of work man, that’s why I feel your chances are way less doing the wheeler thing, than four wheeling to a birdie looking spot and just getting off and spending a couple hours hunting that spot! This adds fuel to my thought that most guys wheelering for grouse are in it for the wheel’ in rather than the hunting!

Quote:

Justin,

You kind of make it sound easy 4 wheeling for grouse.

Shackbash, I don't think my ealier post was sounding that way at all. The only point I was trying to make was some folks need to start showing some respect and good sportsmanship to private landowners and other people on the trail.

Case in point, I was sighting in my deer rifle last weekend in a sand pit that is on our private road on our private property. The road is posted No Trespassing on both ends and wouldn't you know it, here comes a road hunter on a four wheeler right down our road. Then, about 2 minutes later, a pickup truck with a road hunter! They both looked at me and just kept on driving...arrogance!

This is the kind of baloney that I do not care for. If someone wishes to 4 wheel on public land or on private land with permission- that is just fine by me. However, Just blatently diving onto someone else's property and hunting when they have been told not to is quite another. That is the point that I wanted to make.

Later,

Justin

Sorry!

Just trying to quash the myth that 4 wheeler hunters are lazy and blasting as they go! Some do this and I hope they get caught! IMO it is a form of hunting, but not everyone’s cup of tea and it is just as hard, if not harder than setting up a walking hunt.

I think people should stay off of private land, but they do not. People will be fighting this till the end of humans or time! Just do you best to educate them that they are on private land. Ya figure now a days with GPS and map chips and the good old fashioned map they have now, people would have a good idea of were private land ends and public starts. Also like you said, some just do not care!

Good luck!

Quote:

Quote:

Some people who you excluded obesity as you say are that way from meds like steroids.. I gain alot of weight from having cancer and the chemo drugs and steroids made me gain weight. And i would rather have the weight, thats slowly coming off then being dead..

Just because you don't like bigger people that shouldn't have been brought up with hunting the way you said that in your post, you have no clue what the people who are big have been through or what they are going through. I find what you said hurtful. I ma glad to be alive, and i hope someday this doesn't happen to you and others will look at you the way you look at others..

very hurtful

Of course I didnt mean obesity dude to an existing medical condition. I was speaking of people that are that way from the exact type of lazy lifestyle which would include "road hunting". I guess I may be just basing it off people I know personally, who say they cant walk because of their "weight" yet have become that way due to 10 hour shifts at the bar, 3 packs of smokes a day and a life of inactivity. Sorry for the confusion, just having my mom pas away at the age of 53 last month, I know what cancer and treatment does to the human body and it is not my intention to make fun of people with genuine medical problems.

I know of the “lazy” road hunter you speak of! It does make me sick when I see them.

Last year I was bust’in at the seams to get back out and do some grouse hunting, even though it was the third week hunt still going on for deer in zones north of me (actually I had forgot and drove all the way up there and found the place was full of trucks and orange when I entered state land)! I braved it and at least had a heavy duty orange hunting jacket with and hats and gloves! So I went in!

I got to the parking area at the state land and as I was pulling up to entrance I noticed a maroon Chevy truck with a black topper idling in entrance of parking area! His front of his truck was facing out to road and the entrance was placed at a high point, right in the middle of 4-5 mile long dirt road (great view of both directions down road). The entrance driveway was only big enough to get one truck threw at a time. I sat there for a minute or two and looked at the guy, at that point I noticed a barrel of a riffle poking out of drivers window and both windows were down. I had to ask the guy to move and he responded by saying something to the effect of “Oh jeas, can’t you see I am trying to hunt here”. After saying this, he did move and I parked and went grouse hunting. This was out in the middle of a state forest and I did not have a cell phone yet, or I would have made my first call to a CO! The guy seemed crabby and had a loaded rifle, so I was not about to preach to him about hunting regulations.

This type of road hunter in book is a bad sportsman! For god sakes he wasn’t even wearing any orange clothes. I also got the drift he might be a long time hunter of this area and feels he is owed something and can do what he wants. So this year if I head back up there, I have a cell phone and will at least take down his license number!

Shackbash, I spent a hunting season like that a few years ago. I did not block a road but hunted out the window of my truck looking over a clear cut. A few weeks before I had ruptured a disc. I just could not bear to miss a deer hunting season and I could not walk more than 50 ft without extreme pain. Put a shot on a nice little buck in the morning. Spent most of the rest of the day finding,gutting and getting the truck to him. Had a block and tackle system rigged on the truck and got him loaded. Spent the next two days in bed needing help to get up to pee. If someone would have asked me to move I would have seemed crabby also. Not from being put out but from the constant pain I was in. Ask my kids I was a real dick during that time. My point is you just don't know what the other persons situation is. Yes there are slob hunters out there but there is room for everybody.

Its more than a coincidence when 6 seperate times I have come around a corner and caught a guy on his 4 wheeler with his loaded gun between the handle bars. Once I seen a teenager sitting on the front rack (with the dad driving & drinking beer) with a loaded shotgun in hand. Ive been off the trail chasing grouse and have seen a guy on a 4 wheeler driving with one hand and his shotgun in the other while I was 20 feet back in the woods(he never saw me). I believe that its a small minority that follows ALL of the rules while atv hunting. When I see someone walking (no one yet as of this year)..I almost want to shake their hand.

I got a question for some of you more experienced guys. I've never hunted grouse on a four wheeler, but have spent my fair amount of time walking for them. I would say 75% of the grouse I flush get up when I stop walking, and the others are ones I get when I am walking slowly. I very rarely have a flush at normal walking speeds. By my logic, wouldn't most ATVers just drive by most of the birds? Sure they may cover more ground, but they won't flush a bird unless it is sitting right in the middle of the trail.