• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

walleye for sale???

jigglestick

any body else catch this?

I just saw it on craigslist.

I took the link out so nobody could use it.

Fresh walleye - $20

Reply to:

Date: 2007-10-16, 9:26PM CDT

Fresh walleye,10 per bag,$20.00.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 451294552

DNR might be interested in that little tidbit. Might be a joke, might not. You could always order up a bag and see.

Tunrevir~ smirk.gif

Fresh as in, aquarium fresh or dressed fresh?

I'll like to raise some aquarium walleye's... tongue.gif

I posted something about a year ago related to this in the Upper Red Lake Forum. "Blackmarket" walleyes have been available for those looking for them in the Bemidji area for quite some time.

I guess we are not buying enough here so they are trying the WWW.

Hmm, here's another one. mad.gif

Walleye Fillets - $20

Reply to: sale-*****************

Date: 2007-10-16, 8:21PM CDT

(FRESH)Walleye,10 fillets per bag.$20.00.bulk?CASH,AND LOCAL,only

as far as twin cities.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 451240080

One can assume that this is illegal, but it may be a legit business.

If nobody else has a pre-existing contact or the time, I would be glad to notify the DNR in regard to this.

Let me know.

Please let us know your findings?

As long as the walleyes are caught legally you can transfer them to another person, but not sure about selling them? It could be legal?

I would rather catch my own much more fun.

Checked the DNR website. If selling from a motor vehicle they would need a fish vendor license $70. So my assumption they would need some sort of license. Is the guy just selling last years catch? With the 10 fillets he is one away from a limit so is this an ongoing deal he is offering? hmm??

I guess they have been getting away with selling walleyes around here they are getting brave enough to "expand" their business.

Or maybe its the cormorants on Leech?

This guy I use to work with started an online biz selling walleye. He gets it from a distributor, maybe thats what the craigslist guy does to?

Personally I would never buy Walleye anywhere. I never order any in restuarants, I just eat Cod.I assume somewhere along the line I would be supporting illegal harvesting of Walleye. Don't get me wrong I love Walleye, I'll just eat what I catch

I'm with you, if I want fish to eat I'll catch it myself. But not buying it because you 'may' be supporting something illegal? You could be supporting terrorists by buying gas or supporting child labor when buying new clothes?

Ya you cant sell walleye you caught. Just like when you get a deer cut up, the rapper will say "not for sale." Definately illeagal

Hey, if I could possibly get by without buying gas I would. smile.gif. I have a choice when I am out somewhere to eat,steak shrimp cod etc... I just figure if there is no market it wouldn't be worth it to throw those gill nets out. Thus more fish to be caught by angling.I'm not trying to start a big movement,just my own little protest.

I talked to a C.O. at lunch time. He said he would contact someone at DNR's Central Office to check it out. It's worth taking a look at at least.

Quote:

Or maybe its the cormorants on Leech?

A cormorant just can't catch a break these days, just trying to make a buck and someone has to bring him down grin.gif

Quote:

I talked to a C.O. at lunch time. He said he would contact someone at DNR's Central Office to check it out. It's worth taking a look at at least.

I didn't provide the link to email this joker, but I believe I can still get it if nessecary.

I would think the people at craigslist are able to retrieve the email address provided with user registration though, by just having the add number.

HERE HERE on not supporting the cause! I hope all outdoorsman whom have an interest in the future well being of our fisheries will snub there nose to walleye in the restaurant. I know it would be a small movement, but a personal victory anyway. My assumption on the selling of walleye will depend on the nationality of the walleye sales rep. We're playing with a seperate set of rules no doubt. I'm assuming we are all aware that the walleye slaughtered in mass via gill netting are mostly for sale? Maybe a crude attempt at a small business expansion? Catch your own! Hook and line too!

Quote:

Just like when you get a deer cut up, the rapper will say "not for sale." Definately illeagal

If I remember correct, they had to stamp that on venny wrap's , because they can not get meat mixed up with other meat. I do think it was done for a legal reason and for the meat market only! It was not a message to the customer!

The meat market could not sell it, now if it is legal for the customer to go home and sell it, I do not know.

I would not see why not? It’s your game, if you are with in the legal limits and providing it to other people who do not hunt or who can not. I think the same should apply with fish! As long as you are with in the guide lines of the law for legal possession!

Now, the list this info came off of is well known to have “bad deals” going on and I would tread lightly on buying anything eatable of that site!

Also, I think most of the walleye you buy from store or eat at a restaurant, comes from Europe. If forget the name of the species, but it is a close relative of the walleye! I think most of the walleye and game fish netted in the United states goes to the pet food industry or in a Mc Donald’s fish sandwich grin.gif!

Most of the legitimate walleye would come from Canada as the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation ships its walleye to commercial outlets in the U.S. Generally if someone is "advertising" sales without putting up a business name of sorts, it should be considered "boot legged" fish and the information forwarded to the DNR.

Quote:

I think most of the walleye and game fish netted in the United states goes to the pet food industry or in a Mc Donald’s fish sandwich
grin.gif
!

Thats why I love the McD's fish fillet so much.....or is it the cup of tarter sauce on it.....mmmmmmmmm! smile.gif

Shackbash, I think its illeagal to sell it to those people, it has 2 be in the form of a gift, & no payback on their behaf. Oh & the euro-eye is called a zander, they're huge! 25lbs.+ is normal blush.gif

Same/similar ad in the Duluth version of Craig's list.

If this is someone legally selling it, I have a hard time believing that they'd use Craig's List... you'd think they would have a more traditional way of selling it.

Quote:

Quote:

I think most of the walleye and game fish netted in the United states goes to the pet food industry or in a Mc Donald’s fish sandwich
grin.gif
!

Thats why I love the McD's fish fillet so much.....or is it the cup of tarter sauce on it.....mmmmmmmmm! smile.gif

If Micky D's were using Walleye you can bet they'ld advertize it,..........and you couldn't keep me away. tongue.gif

I would never pay for anything I can get for free... In fact, when I have make a fresh walleye for friends I always let them know they would pay $17.95 at a restaurant for it!!!

Quote:

I would never pay for anything I can get for free... In fact, when I have make a fresh walleye for friends I always let them know they would pay $17.95 at a restaurant for it!!!

I usually say the same thing and my wife is quick to respond with "free??"

Quote:

Quote:

I usually say the same thing and my wife is quick to respond with "free??"

No kidding. Free?

Well technically almost free, but when considering all the costs involved, it's spendy. But that's not why we fish.

Quote:

Well, you can probably start kissing those fair market prices goodbye, for 2 years now walleye has been on the rise in price as different sizes of walleye supplies are dwindling. It is getting to the point on our menu's for us to start looking at other options for regional seafood. Example per pound:

Canadian Walleye $8

Alaskan Halibut $10+

Atlantic Salmon $4

Sockeye Salmon $7

Grouper $7

With walleye pricing this high in the marketplace right now and typically the highest selling seafood on any menu in northern MN it's making it really tough to keep it on the menu without pricing it in the over $20 area and out of range of alot of consumers. Forcasts for walleye keep it on the rise as supplies dwindle down especially in the smaller sizes.

I was in Walker a number of years ago, my girlfriend and I ordered Walleye, shortly thereafter a tall native american walked through, past us with a bag of filets. We were served what I am positive were those Walleyes shortly afterwards. I commented the waitress how good it was to have fresh Walleye, she then told me "Oh No, your fish was from Canada, we can't legally sell fish caught in Minnesota" Bull, that was fresh. I didn't have a problem with it but wonder where these fish go if they can't legally sell them here. Whats the dif? It's better than them putting them in dumpsters like the Chippawa Flowage indian's did years ago to just prove a point. We are the ones stuck with the laws, we should be able to benifit from them. smirk.gif OK. flame me. wink.gif

I heard that China was a new market for walleyes...anyone know anything about that? If you're gonna eat raw fish, can't it be something else besides our jewel (or do only the Japanese eat it raw?) On another note, I NEVER order walleye in a restaurant...is that weird? I like to cook my own or let a friend do it. Kabetogama walleye was on our menu tonight. Darn yummy! smile.gif

LIS

I am pretty sure that the sale of Minnesota Walleye is forbidden due to a treaty signed with the Native Americans. This treaty means that Native Americans nor anyone else can sell Minnesota caught Walleye in Minnesota.

Also the fish from Europe is called Zander.