Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ratmn218

gas stablizers

10 posts in this topic

which is better for stablizing gas? sea foam or stabil?????

Sea Foam is superior to Stabil. Stabil tends to get gummy after a short period of time.

I've used OMC's 2+4 and/or Stabil for many years and have yet to see either one gum up when used in the right amount.

I have no experience with Sea-Foam, I have seen a lot of other's good reports about it. Stabil I have seen good results personally. However, I have never seen anything about how long their protection lasts.

AMSOIL's Gasoline Stabilizer is rated to give you up to 18 months storage protection. I have left engines for 9 months with this that started on the first pull. More info: AMSOIL AST Gasoline Stabilizer

Stabil says 12 months with standard dose, double the dose= double the time. Even though I have not used it, I would also give Amsoils product an endorsement as well. They seem to exceed any manufactures recomendations with everything else they make. grin.gif

I used OMC's 2+4. My service manager that I deal with recommended this and said that is all they use when they winterize boats for anyone that brings them in. I have used stabil and seafoam and they work fine too. I don't think there is a right or wrong one. As long as you are using one you are doing the right thing. Make sure when you put it in your tank you run it long enough so that it gets cycle through the system. It should do with about 15 minutes. You can really smell the 2+4 or stabil when it has come through motor.

Heres a post with some more info on stabilizers from a couple months back.

Seafoam Question

I am a Seafoam guy myself. I have also heard good things about the amsoil product as well. I was going to contact stabil about how there product "stabilizes" fuel a few months back but like usually I haven't got around to it yet. I may have to do that in the morning.

They're two different products. Stabil is designed to stabilize fuel while Seafoam is a cleaner/solvent with stabilizing qualities.

Another Seafoam guy here.