Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dilleyo

snapped lines

12 posts in this topic

I went down to Point Douglas Park from shore last night from 6 until about 10 and only ended up with 1 small channel cat and about 7 hooks busted off from bottom snags confused.gif. Would someone be willing to share their secrets against snagging hooks and what rigs would be best to avoid it? I was just using fatheads with a lindy "no snag" slip weight. The weight never was snagged, just the hook. Thanks in advance.

Sometimes the minnows will swim into places you don't want like rocks, logs, and other obstructions in the water. Can't do much about that. One other option is a floating jighead. This will keep your offering off bottom more.

I use a slip float and set it so it's withing a foot of bottom.

I use a small bobber on the snell line to keep hook off bottom. I do this for lindy and three way rig.

I also use a drop shot rig and keep hook off of bottom.

I use a simple 3 way rig. Tie a 4 inch loop on the bottom that I'll put my split shots on, then about a 15 to 18 inch leader. Works very well, go through lot's of split shots, but oh well. The only times I'll ever actually get hooked on the bottom is if a turtle or small fish nibble at my bait and goof around with it.

Try tying a "iropper Style" rug under a slip float. Tie a "Bro Knot to the main linew then tie a leader to the "Bro Knot" Tie a floating jig to the leader and you are on your way. The Bro Knot slids up and down on the main line so you can fish the jig anywhere along the water column.

I use this rig wehn I am in rocks or sunken wood or somew other obstructions where I might get snagged up.

Thanks for the tips. I usually tie my own rigs, so I picked up a couple of packs of floating jig heads and some new hooks as well. Time to tie some lines.

yeah if your not snagging the weight a floating head is the best. seems you found a bed of clams to me but who can say for sure. lighter leader than your line is a good thing too.

I went out yesterday morning around 8 and within an hour pulled up a 19" walleye and missed a couple others with a floating jig head. I went from shore at Point Douglas Park and it was a zoo down there with all of the boats. Saw a few of the boats land a couple of nice eyes, but nothing monster. I only lost 1 jig head this time which was nice for a change. There was another guy there who was catching more than any of the other boats, but they were all too small to keep. He was just using a plain hook with a splitshot, but I was too stubborn to change my setup. Maybe next time I'll try that presentation..

sometimes i will cut off some of the material that makes the jig float so theres just enough keep it up. works better sometimes, sometimes no difference. next time your there... try a countdown in silver/black and see what happens. vary retrieves and depths. this is great tactic if they are biting fast or slow.

Hey dilleye, where is point douglas park, if you don't mind me asking.

You can send it to my email if you like. anal_yzer_guy@yahoo.com

I usually fish off the point at clydes south of bayport, but it has been slow. It was very good in May and early June.

Take 10 off of 61 and before you cross the river into Prescott, it is the park on the north side of 10.

Thank you. I sold the boat a couple years ago, and just looking to catch a few fish from shore once in a while...