• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bucks Moving Does

Smallie

I didn't make it out this weekend at all in the stand..I have a six month old white lab that is developing a fetish for chassing them thunder chickens, we had pretty good pheasant hunting.

I wanted to see if anyone has seen bucks pushing does around I know typically I have'nt seen it in typical years until after the 20th of October.

The reason I'm curious is I had a very wierd encounter early last week in the stand and wasn' sure of what to make of it.

I was hunting a stand inside a wooded ridge and I climb over the sand pit on the way to my stand and see what I think is a yellow lab in the woods..Disguted about this I was going to pull out and go some where else, but I watched this critter at 50 yards and here it was a cyote he was actually kind of fun to watch playing with some small rodent he killed. He trotted on nearby my stand so I decided to go in anyway I reach my stand and climb up.

As the night went on I see one deer high tailing it and another deer following the other kind of zig zagging through the woods, it was pretty thick to give a definate answer if one was a buck or not...My first thought was could it be a buck chasing.

And just as fast as it happend it settled down and then suddenly I see a deer on the move running through the woods I could see it was a buck he ran all the way up by my stand 5 yards and just did u-turn running back the same direction he acted if he was looking for something with his head to the ground the whole time but there was no deer that he was chasing.

I wasn't sure if the deer was more confused than I was..I got to thinking if the deer were just running mad in there because of the cyote scent...Anybody ever witnessed anything like this.

I told my uncle of this experience about seeing the Cyote and he asked me if it looked like a yellow lab I said exactly..I guess they have been seeing this really cool looking cyote that I mistaked initally for a lab until wathcing him throw his prey around like a toy.

It sure could have been coyote scent left on its trail. I just got back from ND archery hunting and all the deer were very skiddish from the howling of all the coyotes. I have never seen the deer this jumpy.

As far as the bucks starting to chase the doe's, I havent seen it yet this year but it should start in the upcoming weeks for sure. Could it have been a buck doing some chasing, I would guess maybe yes but it does seem just a tick early.

One guy hunting with us was watching a smaller buck chasing turkeys all over the woods. Wierd buck.

Harvey,

I just got back from north-central ND duck/goose hunting and had a doe and two bucks chasing her around us in a corn field. They new we were there and even came closer to take a look at our decoys. We even have a picture of one guy in his ground blind and the deer behind him. The bucks for sure were checking her out, no doubt!!! Not that this is happening every where but was that evening. I can't imagine it not starting now if not any day plus the full moon is next week.

later,

mr

Something is going on at this time out there. Here is what i saw this weekend as far as buck activity goes.

Saturday morning about 6:55. I can here them coming and what do i see when they get under my stand at a full run still to dark to make out much? A doe with a nice buck on her tail. All i could see was main beam in the low light but a buck for sure. This was 10 miles north of Red Wing.

Head to my northern hunting location for a saturday evening hunt and see three does come out and not 10 minuts later here comes a six point and he goes right for the mother doe.

She wants nothing to do with him and goes back into the woods. Guess were he went? i think you know. This is north of Zimmerman by about 15 miles.

Went back out last night and guess who i seen. Yep mister 6 pointer. He comes out into the bean feild and goes right into the woods were the doe's usually come from.

My guess is we are getting early activity this year from what i noticed this weekend. Nice to see them bucks moving more anyway.

CC HURL

I was starting to see activity in SEMN last week. Young bucks chasing does. I think that is the main activity taking place right now, it won't be long and the big ones will get sick of the little ones trying to take their territory. Should be a good two weeks.

96Trigger

I hunt southeastern Minn. Spring Valley to be exact. I shot a 13 pt. Sat. morning no does however they are starting to fight. I gave this one a deep buck grunt from the true talker at 30 yards he stopped turned on a dime and came in sideways with the hair up and ears down wanting to fight. chip shot at about 2 yards. I am still pumped grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

One guy hunting with us was watching a smaller buck chasing turkeys all over the woods. Wierd buck.

I bowhunt deer and turkey in the Black Hills every year Mid-October. I have seen this several times, usually young bucks. Guess they need to feel dominant over something.

congrats on the deer, thats awesome, I'm sure that last week when the two smaller bucks were sparring the field, they brought out the big guy. Too bad he was too far away, he was a vary nice buck. I hunt more in the Wabasha co. area. Congrats again.

Fishgetter do you know brian majhacek from around that area? jw i was down there with him last year around the spring valley area lots of nice bucks thats for sure

Had two smallish 8's come by together, one made a scrape and instantly turned on his buddy and they clicked antlers for a minute, this attracted another 8, a bit larger who chased them around a bit and then went out of sight where they proceeded to fight for about 10 minutes, pretty neat stuff.

Friend of mine saw a smaller buck chasing two does the other night. He drilled the buck & another young buck came out shortly afterwards & started chasing the same two does.

PRERUT BABY, PRERUT!

Time to start hitting it. Hopefully I'll get out more over MEA, but the weather doesn't look good.

The bucks where I'm hunting must be delayed in the rut as after three days of hunting for 4 guys, we saw no chasing.

I saw 4 bucks together last thursday 2 were small 6s one a 4 and a big 8 the sixes were fighting for a good 5 minutes while the other 2 just watched it was cool to see, I hunt in west central mn

Rattlem'up I do not know this Brian,sorry. So here goes my story fun one for me any way. I sat around 3pm it was around 4 when I first seen my buck. He was coming from the west to the east I face the south on stand. As I watch him walk all I could think of was there goes another one I can't get a shot at. As he past my stand about 35 yrds. in the woods to the north of me I could see he was a real nice buck. So I let him pass for around 15 yrds. then I hit him with the TRUE TALKER just a doe call. Nothing. So then a soft buck still nothing. Finally I hit the big buck call if you own a TRUE TALKER you know what I mean. Just don't put any pressure on the call and blow in it, it makes a real deep grunt. Well any way when I hit him with the buck call he stopped in his tracks and did a 360 walked my way and stopped to rip the heck out of a tree. After he was done he just stood there. He was going to start walking away again when I hit the grunt he got really stiff, ears dropped, and hair stood up.

Now if you have bow hunted for a few years we all know this means one thing I WANT TO FIGHT (ufc) grin.gif. He walked all the way to me about 30 yrds., stiff leged and ready to fight. When he stopped he was 2 yrds. from the stand when I let the arrow fly. With in 10 min. I was holding the rack of a nice 13 pointer. He is a 11 pointer with 2 eye guards about 4 inches long I have never seen a whitetail with eye guards. Any way it was fun now time ti kill my 4 does this is the easy part I have passed on about 25 of them now. Good luck guys and have fun. COON hunting is right around the corner and SOUTH DAKOTA here I come this weekend for some roosters. yeeeeee haw

Sounds like you had your game plan in order and it all worked out for the best, except for the 13 pointer.

Congrats on the nice buck.

Thanks Lee. I got to share this with my brother so that madde it even better and I can rub it in his face wink.gif.

PreRut is fun cause the young bucks get to running.....another week and you'll start seeing the bigger bucks running off those little guys.....It's hilarious watching the small bucks spar and chase doe's thinking they're all that.

Saw more bucks this weekend than all the rest of bowhunting. Saw a real nice 10 pointer, he was following a doe as was a little fork. Had a decent 8 pointer somewhat chasing a doe around, and following it. My dad saw an 8 pointer chasing the fawns away from the mom. Saw two young one sparring, but that was last week. Should be good hunting from now til gun season.

heard a little from a few buddies that they were seeing some bucks doing a little chasing. One good buck was all about the doe and she was standing for him like she was ready. I have not seen this yet but the guy who did knows what he saw. I suppose there are going to be some old does that may go into estrus a little early from the cool snap we are in. Tough to say, I havent seen a buck in 2 weeks around my stand...is there anything to this "October Lull" as they say or should I be hunting closer to their bedding areas? This seems to happen every year to me in this spot so I am not too worried as come the next couple weeks that stand gets pretty crazy with activity!! Cant wait!

On the way home last night I saw 3 does on a trot go across the road in front of me about 100 feet. I caught some movement in the ditch so I slowed down and here come two bucks trotting right behind the 3 does. One fork and the other was at least an 8 pt. Was not expecting the second which was the fork buck, looked like the little brother on a date with the older one.

This was in the north metro 1/2 mile from my house. The deer cross that road all the time just never seen them in that spot. Looks like it is started or really close...

I seen an 8 pointer last night out on the prowl. checking scrapes, making rubs, looking for love.

sunday morning went out, doe at 100 yrds, had my 8 year old son with, he wanted to use the grunt, so i let him, amazing 8 yo brings the doe in to about 40 yards, I took a shot, missed low, when she fled, a 6 point basket came out of the woods where we first saw her, and ran with her across the road. My first thought was they were bedded in there together, neither showed rut activity, but this doe responded to grunting, and closed a 60 yard gap quick.

went out last night, same location opposite field, my goodness, saw 1 buck, huge body, just caught a glimpse of tine couldn't see the whole rack, but he was nose down trotting along the picked field/creek bottom, blew a grunt at him..nothing looked towards where he was heading, 2 does in the picked corn, he was going right to em, got dark quick, couldn't see anything else.

Saw a couple of scrapes on the way to my stand, unfortunately I never made it to my stand as I fell into the river up to my arpits....my shallow crossing got a bit deeper, seems the current washed it out and the cloudy water made visibilty zero. Crawled back on the bank and home I went. Next time I'll try an alternate route. mad.gif