Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuleShack

Fall Fishing?

11 posts in this topic

I'm clearing my schedule on Thursday and Saturday to come up and do some fishing. Planning on spending most of the daylight and into the darkness on the water.

I know everyone is talking about trolling raps in the evening once it gets dark, and that i understand. However i'm planning on spending most of the daylight hours on the water as well. Just wondering where the fish tend to hide/work this time of year during daylight hours? are they to be found in the same type of pattern as late may/early june? Is the Lindy still the presentation of choice? Being the water is cooling, are Minnows the bait du joir? Or is Trolling a productive way to catch fish during the day?

I have not seen anything on this yet and wanted to get some good info.

BTW, Paul W, when you going to start providing weekly fishing reports? smile.gif

Steve

In the past, just in front of and a little South of Fischer's has been good during the day. Depths 8-18 ft. I've had success rigging with spinners and either crawlers or just red tails.

You can catch Eyes with cranks also during the day. Same colors as mentioned in other posts. Clown, firetiger, perch, crawfish, black/gold, Tenn shad,silver/black,purple perch, blue chrome. Husky Jerks and Shad raps work.

Post your results. It would be nice to see reports coming in on a regular basis for the next few weeks.

Thanks Rodmaker

With the Hurricane type weather today, i backed out. It said NW 20-30 when i got up this morning and there is no where to hide with that wind... But i'll be up there either Late Friday night or Early Saturday morning and will keep you posted.

Thanks

Sounds good. Weather for Sat sounds pretty good. temps upper 50's. South wind 5-10. Good luck!!

Well, here is the report.

I see why no one fishes walleye during the day on Mille Lacs in the fall.

I got up there at 5:00am and worked the shore line from Hunters down the east side trolling Husky jerks in 8-10 fow...Nothing.

Daylight hit and still trolled down to Doe Island reef area. Started to mark fish out around 16', so i started to lindy rig and not even a hit. Went down to grave yard and trolled and then rigged again...nothing.

It was now 2:00 and i was either going to go West or North. I decided to go north. I stopped off at a mud flat for a little while to see if anything was happening and nothing. Then went up to the north shoreline. Worked the shorline from Red door to beyond Barnacles with different kinds of raps. Started out deeper with minnow raps, then slowly moved in shallower...Nothing. Worked this area till after dark...then moved farther east.

Ran over to Carlsonas area and started trolling a 14 HJ in Tennesse SHad and about a mile later, I finally had a hit...at 8:00 i got this huge pike. Didn't measure or weigh it, but photos are worth a thousand words. guessing some where around 34-36. Kept speed between 1.8 and 2.1

After a little more of nothing, moved farther east along the shorline and worked Agate area. Picked up one Eye on a HJ 14 Silver Minnow in 7 fow around 10pm. One more small mouth after that and that's all she wrote.

After the wind layed down, it sure was a nice night to be out there...even if it was VERY slow. It still was fun.

I heard a launch operater on the radio saying that with their lights on he coudl see all kinds of tulipee in the shallows...

I'm guessing next time i gotta go slower and shallower...and i probably should have gone West rather than North....Ha

I was alone, so no fancy photo's...just a quick snap and back in the drink.

north.jpg

walleye.jpg

Real nice fish! Thanks for the Pics, when I see nice fish like that it makes me want ot get out again...thanks for the honest report! cool.gif

Lake Cisco or Tulabee are starting to spawn right now. Nice report!

How late into the year do you guys fish open water on mille lacs?

Who knows Steve....maybe you and I are cut out to be pike anglers!!!! Ha! At least the few fish you caught were nice ones! Pike after dark....weird. ya don't see that too much, but I guess they are trying to get ready for winter. I bet you thought you had the 35 inch new state record on the other end tugging away!!

As late as possible.

Yea, that pike kinda got the excitement going...he bent the pole and started shakin. Thought it was a big eye for a short time. frown.gif

I'll take action any way it will come grin.gif