Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troyslund

drift sock for trollin

3 posts in this topic

any rec's for a drift sock? i have a lund angler 1650 w a 40horse... according to gps the slowest i can troll is about 2.8mph w no wind involved.. i read that people are suggesting to troll slower later in the fall... any suggestions on a drift sock make or model to slow down the boat i have....

thx troy

i used two drift socks saturday, tied to the front cleat on each side of the boat. it worked great! i was able to get down to rigging speed going forward with a 115 optimax. they were not obtrusive at all. i tied them as short as i could to still get their affect. boat control was actually improved. one drift sock from the bow while forward trolling makes boat control more difficult because it will go from one side of the keel to the other. 1030rpm was 2.0mph on my gps. i wonder how a prop wash that extends 20 feet or so affects the walleyes in shallow water? maybe thats why i didnt catch more?

regards,

minnesotatuff

Just a thought here, but they also make some thing that mounts on the motor that folds down to diffuse the prop wash. Never had one, but maybe something to look into?

web page