• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going to get out and try for some grouse this week!

Shack

Was going to get out today, but rain was what kept me from getting out! Spent the day bringing things down from garage attic and I think I am ready to get out for some birds. I might try to talk boss into a grouse day Tues. or Wend...

If not I will take boys out after work this week some time and see how grouse are doing in local haunts!

This time of the year is great! I cracked open hunting stuff for first time today and I tell ya. i ranks right up there with opening tackle box for the first time.

nNEQd8eTh1F8-1UVQYt-K5ejmUnTY9jI0300.jpg

Well, got out today for a little grouse hunting action! Impeded by a late start and the pressure of rain, I elected to stay close to home. Thus meaning I was hunting area only known to hold very little grouse. It turned into a “get the dogs out” hunt more than anything.

It went fine and we did not see any grouse or wood cock (figured as much), but it was nice to get back out for the first time this year. The sites and smells of the woods are second to none. I ended up going alone, my boys had other things planned, I.E. guitar lesson’s. So I was solo for this trip. I figure it was a good thing anyways, since I am breaking in a new lab to hunting. All went great with the dogs! Found out our newest member to our dog family “Bella” was not gun shy and listened very well. I even got her to point twice! At what I do not know, but she is learning great. To see a lab on point is crazy! My other lab Dakota has never showed traits as the new pup does! I think with a little more work, Bella will become a better hunter than Dakota!

We did manage to find a young poplar stand, but it held no birds! Hit the marsh and swap edges for some wood cock and nothing there ether. Mid way threw or short hunt, I happened on to some wicks hanging on some brush branches. Sure enough I look around and found a bow hunter in a tree stand. I chatted briefly with him and thanked him for not putting an arrow into one of my dogs and went on my way. If it is anyone from this site, thanks again! I figured no one was around because there was no other cars or trucks in the parking area. This is another subject I would like to briefly touch on.

The parking area! If you have dogs, when you get to the parking area and let them out, watch them closely. As I was getting ready to head out, both my dogs were attracted by something around one of the guard posts. Come to find out it was a couple Chinese take out containers. Both my labs proceeded to eat what was in the containers! During the hunt, my oldest lab had a bad case of the runs and every 5 minutes had to stop and do her thing. I think she is ok, but she was kind of sluggish and I could tell she was not up to par. I wish they would put trash barrels out at the parking sites, but they do not! Bella and I would wait for Dakota to do her thing and go on our way.

Again it was just nice to get out and be in the woods! I sure needed the work out and I am pumped to head north and get in some good territory. Here are a couple images from our hunt tonight!

Moving to another stand of woods. Letting the dogs play a litle!

lcWo2PXAcJzlXyQj1oZelOzYmtqyXQgX0300.jpg

We got wet! It did rain! I tell, when Bella shakes her self off, it sounds just like a rough grouse flushing! I caught my self looking around a couple of times!

Fqm1PGw++ZbMtUM-Syn0B333GMvPONi00300.jpg

We did get in thick and leaves are still up around here! Dakota is on the left and Bella is on the right.

Abz38RneYwrTk7WzgFikzD09Y-d7r2IA0300.jpg

All wet and ready to go! Bella was ready to head back out! Dakota was ready to go home!

q0h8pRg+pWwl7E1LMvoDM74O8bWYlM-u0300.jpg

Great to see you getting your pups out doing what they love to do.

It looks like you got some leaves up yet.Ours are down and it makes it much easier to see those birds.

We shot several grouse and a bunch of cocks.

The ticks are still out in full force.

I bet I pulled 30 so far this week.