Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shack

This Is An Old One!!!

9 posts in this topic

In 94 or 95, I was trolling Doe Island Reef on a full moon fall night and got my biggest walleye to that date. It was around 8lbs and I was

in my Glory! I was trolling in a 14 foot alum. with a 9.9 Johnson by my self! I was using a crawler and a spinner!

I went Ebners Bait in Elk River and woke Mrs. Ebb's up at midnight to get picture (before Wal-Mart or anything else were open 24/7 other than Ebners's). She took pic and hung it on her wall for a year or so, until she gave it back to me! I was just going threw some boxes of hunting stuff and came across it! Brings back memories.

Anyone else have some old Mille Lacs pics to share?

SIw9UZnZp5RrRPpavJw0mFTIoIgP+f7a0300.jpg

It was over 28", but back then who cared! I took it home and gave it a thought about mounting it! But in the end we had walleye steaks for dinner! I would never think of keeping an eye like this now adays! Fun to be young and I sure was and had a couple less pounds on me then!

what is wrong with keeping a walleye over 28 inches?? try smoking one, smoked walleye is just as good as smoked whitefish, smoked northern, or any other smoked fish...........tom fellegy

Tom,

Sign of the times!

Now I would just take a pic and throw back!

If I remember, I oven baked fish and It was good!

Shack-

Nice photo!

Where's the goofy looking face??? grin.gif

cool picture! it looks like it just came out of the water.

ive never tried smoked walleye but i bet its fantastic!

regards,

minnesotatuff

I smoked a walleye once and it was terrible! There is a reason you never hear of smoked walleye, it is a waste of good meat.

Ah, that face looks goofy enough for me! grin.gif! I was 18 in that photo! Also that was back when Ebners bait in ER was open 24 hours a day! Just for the Mille Lacs fisherman. Also note, I was in my work clothes grin.gif. Straight from work to lake! I wish I had that much drive now a days! Must of had a Lindy hate back then cool.gif.

TRZ,

I would venture to think, that how fished was smoked is reason why it tasted bad. I have never had smoked walleye, but have had other fished smoked and they tasted great! smile.gif

Yes. smoked fish are very good. i have smoked about every popular species in minnesota, but walleye is not a good fish to smoke just an F.Y.I. to anyone thinking about it, fry it or bake it, don't smoke it. grin.gif

I tried smoking a walleye once but couldn't keep it lit!!! HaHaHa. shocked.gif