• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The doom of the almighty black cloud!!! (ha ha ha)

Has anyone used black cloud?? I have been using it and I love the stuff. I just droped a honker around 100 yards away and the thing just folded I mean deader than a door nail. I'm a young pub so I don't remember the glory years of lead. But I think so compairs to it pretty close.

Quote:

I just dropped a honker around 100 yards away and the thing just folded I mean deader than a door nail.

I don't care what kind of shot you are using, thats skybusting and you know what the board thinks of skybusters. smile.gif Keep shooting like that and you'll be losing and crippling lots of birds, and making many enemies along the way.

Get 'em in close and knock 'em dead!

yeah its nice untill that almighty federal shell lodges in the chamber on the first shot, Then your gonna need that inverted wad and extra 1/8oz to get the bird.

I thought id try the black cloud and now after the first box(i bought 2) im afriad to shoot a bird with them fearing ill miss on the first shot and jam. 2 3/4, 3", or 3 1/2", lead, steel, or fast steel, it doesnt matter after it jams its all still goog ol feredal.

Quote:

Quote:

I just dropped a honker around 100 yards away and the thing just folded I mean deader than a door nail.

I don't care what kind of shot you are using, thats skybusting and you know what the board thinks of skybusters. smile.gif Keep shooting like that and you'll be losing and crippling lots of birds, and making many enemies along the way.

Get 'em in close and knock 'em dead!

Yes your right I should of not shot. After I droped the 1st bird I didn't shoot again because they are already far away. I do understand why I should of not shot. But I just got a wild hair and I wanted to test out the new shell. I usally don't skybust. I'm not joking about the either.

Sounds like you guys don't believe him, well I shot a drake wood duck this morning that feild dressed at 26 pounds. smile.gif

Your "brothers" must have been hunting next to me today on the weaver bottoms. They shot a ringneck from over 200 yds away. Never mind it was 35-40 yds from me when I shot. They even sent their dog after it to boot, I was d$#@ tempted to scuttle the bird right in front of the dog but then I'd be just as big a JA as they were. Taking a pot shot ain't hunting, its bleeping luck.

Here's the math--100 yd shot takes 0.2 seconds to travel 100 Yds at 1500fps. a 45mph bird will move almost 14 ft in that amount of time. How do you consistently lead 14 ft in front of a bird. Congrats on winning the lottery, please don't play again.

kc0myy-

Please don't take our criticism the wrong way but you did mention that you were a "young pup" and I feel we need to steer you in the right direction.

100 yards is some kind of incredible shot that no waterfowler would even attempt. I won't shoot anything after an estimated 40 yard (which most of us know is really too far anyway).

Typically past 40 yards, you can't make a proper identification.

Typically past 40 yards, you can't make a lethal shot.

Being a good long range shot does not make you a good waterfowler, getting the birds to work in close where you can make a good ID and a good lethal shot will make you a good waterfowler.

There is a lot of hype about the Federal Black Cloud, the fact of the matter is it's still a steel shotgun load. The reviews on this site seam to be 50:50 between the lovers and haters.

Please keep your shots close and controlled. We are in the sloughs to hunt ducks, not to injure them and feed the predators.

I had a goose fly over my car last thursday, broken leg. Probably a sky buster.

I do understand your point I knew it was worng to shoot. I don't know why I did. I love working birds and getting them close and I feel sick when I don't find the bird I shot. I just was not thinking. Also don't worry about my feelings I know your just trying to help and I thank you. smile.gif

On another note. I shot 8 boxes of black cloud in canada this past week and I was very impressed. I will be making that my shell of choice for both ducks and geese. No one hundred yard shots here, but a snow/blue or honker at 40 yards or less was folding hard wink.gif

LovenLifeGuy

kc0myy - I have to commend you on knowing enough to admit that you shouldn't have taken the shot, and "man enough" to take the constructive criticism. I wish all posters would handle themselves the same way. Enjoy the rest of the fall, it is the best time of the year.

Quote:

kc0myy-

Please don't take our criticism the wrong way but you did mention that you were a "young pup" and I feel we need to steer you in the right direction.

100 yards is some kind of incredible shot that no waterfowler would even attempt. I won't shoot anything after an estimated 40 yard (which most of us know is really too far anyway).

Typically past 40 yards, you can't make a proper identification.

Typically past 40 yards, you can't make a lethal shot.

Being a good long range shot does not make you a good waterfowler, getting the birds to work in close where you can make a good ID and a good lethal shot will make you a good waterfowler.

There is a lot of hype about the Federal Black Cloud, the fact of the matter is it's still a steel shotgun load. The reviews on this site seam to be 50:50 between the lovers and haters.

Please keep your shots close and controlled. We are in the sloughs to hunt ducks, not to injure them and feed the predators.

Chris, I respectfully disagree with your yardage limitations on who we label as skybusters or not. I kind of get tired of reading posts of guys that rail on others with limited facts like being overlimit when they don't even know what state they are hunting in.

I am from the old days and used lead in Canada for geese with the old Marlin Super Goose 10 Gauge and you could consistently kill geese from 40-70 yards with 100 not being out of the question. With the advances in ballistics on non-toxics and the muzzle velocity we can't go around telling people when and when not to shoot from forum boards. I'm sorry, there's just simply way too many variables.

I’ve shot cripples out of the air up to 90 yds (range finder) and you can see puffs of feathers fly out of them and kill them stone cold. Especially on a snow goose hunt when the closest shot to a bird you get might be 50-60 yds. Today the choke tubes they make combine with the tungsten and hevi shot loads it’s not uncommon to make these crazy long shots. Not ethical to do that but if you had to you could.

Black Clouds should come with a mini cleaning kit for your gun because they are such a dirty shell. They are a joke to me.

And remember, black cloud is still only steel. Steel looses it's engergy fast. I wouldn't be afraid to take a hit from any steel shell at 100 yards. But, I'd sure be looking for cover if I knew the shooter had hevi-shot or some other premium shot.

You people who keep claiming to shoot birds at 90 yards or 100 yards are killing me. You have no concept of yardage. Range finder? Hmmmmm. Go to a football field and set up a full body goose decoy at one end and walk to the other end. There is your 100 yards. If you still think you can kill a goose at 100 yards, you need help. Its one thing to actually hit the bird and get GOOD penetration at that range and its a whole other thing to be able to judge a lead at that distance!! Threads like this just fuel the fire for the people who like to take long shots. 80% of hunters can NOT judge distance properly and I would say that same 80% are poor shots to boot. Even a great shooter with a extreemly good load would have a heck of a time killing a GOOSE at 100 yards.

Quote:

I’ve shot cripples out of the air up to 90 yds (range finder) and you can see puffs of feathers fly out of them and kill them stone cold. Especially on a snow goose hunt when the closest shot to a bird you get might be 50-60 yds.

You have to be joking!!

im not saying that if you shoot at a bird at 90 yds its going to blow up as if you were at 40 yds, 9 out of 10 times you will never touch it.

when your in a field and the bird is flying away at maybe ten feet above the ground and it goes straight down, you can pace it off and somewhat find out what distance it rely is from were it lands.

Quote:

You people who keep claiming to shoot birds at 90 yards or 100 yards are killing me. You have no concept of yardage. Even a great shooter with a extreemly good load would have a heck of a time killing a GOOSE at 100 yards.

Commander, I agree that most peoples estimate of the yardage they take shots at is wrong. It's like fish tales, also bigger (longer) than reality.

However, I have hunted extensively at the Oak Hammock Marsh in Manitoba for years. in fact most were before steel was required. I have not ever shot Hevi-Shot or any other non-toxic's other than steel. I've had to shoot a 12 gauge 3" when my 10 gauge broke and the geese just laugh at you when you plaster them at 40 yards. My buddy is shooting his Ithaca Mag 10 next to me folding them up left and right.

The vision that sticks in my head is a guy hunting on neighboring property dropping geese from "Waaaaayyyyy" up there and they were coming down like a rock. I thought to myself, "I ain't shooting what he is shooting that's for sure". That's was when the bismuth and what not was coming on the seen and I thought that must have been what he was shooting. If you have the right load, shooting geese at long range is not that difficult because you lead them based on the sound of pellets hitting them. Pretty simple. Right load they come down. Wrong load you don't get any penetration.

Never thought of using a range finder but I can see where that would take the guesswork out of it. I use it religiously when archery hunting.

I think what we are trying to get at is that. Yes with these new shell on the market we can take long shots. but to be safe don't take them because you just might wound that bird along with others. because you pattern is so big when you have birds way out there.

Quote:

I think what we are trying to get at is that. Yes with these new shell on the market we can take long shots.

Wrong. That is the misconception of the Black Cloud shot. Its not designed for more range or longer shots. Its designed to create a larger penetration hole within range. It actually looses velocity faster than the round pellets incorperated with it. It's all hype. Info from a worker at Federal: the BC pellets are simply the same pellets that are in the regular shot shells, they have just not been buffed down and round. They have eliminated a step in the manufacturing process and are charging you more money for a lesser grade product. It's just a marketing ploy by Federal. Of course a non-rounded pellet is going to create a larger hole when it penetrates the bird at close range but any shell will kill at close range. crazy.gif

Quote:

Commander, I agree that most peoples estimate of the yardage they take shots at is wrong. It's like fish tales, also bigger (longer) than reality.

However, I have hunted extensively at the Oak Hammock Marsh in Manitoba for years. in fact most were before steel was required. I have not ever shot Hevi-Shot or any other non-toxic's other than steel. I've had to shoot a 12 gauge 3" when my 10 gauge broke and the geese just laugh at you when you plaster them at 40 yards. My buddy is shooting his Ithaca Mag 10 next to me folding them up left and right.

Right load they come down. Wrong load you don't get any penetration.

How does a 10 ga. penetrate better than a 12?

Quote:

Quote:

Right load they come down. Wrong load you don't get any penetration.

How does a 10 ga. penetrate better than a 12?

Ah, bigger, more powerful cool.gif

I'd be interested to know what a pattern would look like at 100 yards. I'm guessing you need that magic BB...

I'm not an expert on yardages - I actually use a range finder from time to time so that I know how far the deocys are from the boat. Often times I find that I set the decoys way too close. I also realized that shots that used to not take because they looked too far were actually 30 - 35 yards.

Just when you thought you've heard it all.

I would have to agree with commander on this stuff. Unless you are shooting a 22, or a slug, you are NOT KILLING geese, ducks, or blackbirds at a 100 yds. I would not be afraid to stand at the other end of a football field with may back to you and let you take a shot, it won't do too much.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but a killing goose at 100 yds is not happening.

Stuff like this has the next guy thinking....maybe I could...so he tries it and so on.

Quote:

Stuff like this has the next guy thinking....maybe I could...so he tries it and so on.

Probably one of the best comments on this thread so far. It's sad but true.

For French_lake_Kid

A common misconception is that a 10 gauge is more powerful than a 12 or even a .410. That is simply not true. If you are shooting a number 2 steel pellet at 1300 ft/ps out of the 10ga and your are shooting a number 2 steel pellet out of say a 20 ga using Kent faststeel at 1500ft/ps. The 20 gauge wins hands down in down range energy. The only reason the 10 has an advantage is that they have more payload and a larger diameter barrel therefore they pattern steel shot better causing the bird to be hit by more pellets. If pellet size is the same. The one shot at the fastest speed is most powerful. Most 10 ga loads are slower than the loads available in 12 or 20 ga. The amount of shot and a superior pattern cause people to believe they are more powerful

Mwal

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve shot cripples out of the air up to 90 yds (range finder) and you can see puffs of feathers fly out of them and kill them stone cold. Especially on a snow goose hunt when the closest shot to a bird you get might be 50-60 yds.

You have to be joking!!

Just out of curiousity have "you" ever used a range finder to determine ranges. A goose decoy on the ground looks a heck of a lot different than a goose flying straight above your head. I have personally watched geese dropped from 70 to 100 yards up. I hit them with a range finder flying over me and watched people shoot at them after they flew by. And this was with steel. Not too say that you can consistently drop them, and not that I recommend it but it can most certainly be done. With the old federal 3.5" BBB I could consistently drop birds to 70+ yards. And before you all jump on your high horse I was young and did a lot of pass shooting.