Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eastsider

Perch bite

10 posts in this topic

I am heading up Monday morning and am wondering if the Perch are still biting in the bays or if it has slowed down?

As of 3 o'clock today they were still biting. A slow start in the morning, but the bite seemed to pick up as the day went on. We left in the middle of the bite. Good luck to ya.

Versus

Thanks I am looking forward to it

Eastsider

i put in at eddy's and started fishing around 5:30pm saturday. as i was putting in, two guys were just coming off with their limits of perch. i started trolling a firetiger deep diving rap in about 10fow and headed down to rocky reef. there was one boat bobber fishing there and a couple came by for muskies. i caught a 10-1/2" perch on a clown deepdiving shad and lost another perch right after that. i started north again and caught a 12" walleye on firetiger husky jerk in 6fow. a little later i caught a 17-1/2" on the same bait. that was it. i only fished until 10:40 before i headed back to eddy's. the forcast was for almost no wind. toward the end of the time i was out, there was plenty of rock-n-rollin' and it was DARK! i couldnt get a temperature reading unless you want to believe the -0.7 degrees farenheit the graph said. :-(

regards,

minnesotatuff

I hit Isle Bay and the reports I got on the way out were the the fishing was slow. We used the tiller electric to slow troll past all the bobber fisherman until we got to the opening of the bay to the main lake. We saw alot of small perch being caught and all using bobbers. We ended up using the tilled elecric to cast 1/16th jig/minnow from 6 into 2" with faster retrieve. We pulled 16 ranging from 10 to 13" in about two hours. The big perch wanted it faster. We planned to leave after the two hours to hit the walleyes so we thought to tell another boat what we were doing and where to go. Well they went to our spot, anchored but continued to bobber fish. We watched them bobber fish for about 15 minute and they continued catching the small perch in that same spot we pull all our bigger perch casting jigs. May have been just what they wanted that day but this was my only trip up there this year so this is all I can speak to. God luck. It's nice catching a perch so big you laugh at the size as you net the thing.

My post was from saturday the 13th

Fished west side rock piles Sat and did very well. Slip bobber with jig and real minnow, Gulp Alive minnows and power minnows. But the fave of the day was casting Mimic minnows - the jumbos just slammed them. Four to five feet of water. Action was constant to sundown.

Just wondering if anyone out there is educated on the parasite on the perch in mille lacs? I'm assuming it's not a big deal for consumption, but I'm just curious about it. I did some research and it looks like it's called heterosporis. Anyone have and 2 cents on this?

Versus

Are you asking about the little yellow grub or the black spots?

As far as I know both will be killed with cooking. I usually dig the yellow grubs out of the flesh. If there are alot of black spots I will throw out the fillet. The parasite that will cause problems is in Northern Pike and it can survive in pickled pike if it is not prepared properly. The pike must be frozen solid or cooked. Pickling does not kill the tape worm cyst found in Pike.

I'm pretty sure it is considered a new parasite in MN and WI. I read of the other two parasites that you are talking about. I believe this one is different. I am guessing it's okay since I'm sure everyone else is taking home perch right now, but I was hoping someone could give me a little bit more of an insight on this.

Versus