Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
DonBo

Coyote Skull

DonBo

Just returned from a trip out west and found a coyote skeleton in great shape. I kept the skull and would like to clean it up, bleach it like a european mount. Any advise on how to do this?

Nate McVey

Bury it in the yard before it freezes, mark the spot and dig it up in the spring. They maggots and things will have picked it clean. Depending on how white you want it, you can use a very thin mixture of bleach and water to brighten it. Don't use to much bleach, or it will eat away at the skull.

walleye101

A faster method is to toss it into a pot of boiling water and simmer it a couple of hours. Might want to use the camp stove in the garage to avoid a confrontation in the kitchen.

Nate McVey

Good point walleye..........if time is of the essence, the boiling method is good.

DonBo

I should have said, the skull is picked clean. I just want to bleach it.

FlyingV

Donbo,

Soak it in Hydrogen Peroxide for a few days. Make sure it is completely submerged. If you can find it, use the 30% solution but be careful with it as it will burn your skin. Otherwise just use the drug store 3% if that is all you can find. Rinse it off, then set it in the sun for a few days to dry out. How are the teeth holding up? Sometimes they get loose. I glue them back in with super glue gel. I also glue the lower jaw to the skull at the hinge with it too.

Don't use bleach, I heard it can damage the bone.

After it dries out, you can spray it with an aerosol type clear coat from the hardware store. Make sure it is a non yellowing type.

Here are a couple that I have done using a kit from Van Dykes Taxidermy Supplies:

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

Scott M

And if you ever get really serious about a skull collection (which I want to do some day...I'll be the creepy guy pulling over at all the roadkill sites looking for intact craniums) you can buy starter colonies of dermestid beetles. They are great for European skull mounts by the way. Keep them in your garage in some dry bedding and they will go to town on flesh but leave bone alone.

DonBo

Post deleted by DonBo

FlyingV

I get it from work. It's used in our process. Sorry but I can't get it for you....

I read on another website, that beauty salons use it to bleach hair "as in bleach blondes". You might try one of those. Take a camera with and get us a picture of the gal when you ask for it and she finds out what you want it for!

Van Dykes might have something that will work though too. They have a website.........

DonBo

Quote:

Soak it in Hydrogen Peroxide for a few days. If you can find it, use the 30% solution

Thanks for the tips. I found the 30% stuff at a taxidermy supply place. I'll try to get some photos of the finished job.