Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

Spearing Around the Corner

11 posts in this topic

As we all know, its getting closer and closer everyday. This weather that we are having now days, is making it feel that we are getting closer and closer to spearing weather. Which i feel we are.

Is anyone else excited like i am for the season coming up??

Went to a auction sale a couple of weeks ago and picked up a dandy 9 tine spear with stainless tines for 100 bucks i have the adiction for spears i must have at least 12 of them cant wait to get out on hard water the lakes around here are lower and should find some good spots that are usually to deep to try

sounds like a great deal for ya.

me not cant wait either.

i was talking to a conservation officer here this morning at work, and he was telling me that he thinks its going to be a late ice. Which im sure he is correct. But we will have to see. He said that there is alot of different situations that might change it but we will have to see what happens with weather.

i startted spearing ventures on my own back in 1976, it helps the folks have a cabin in northern mn, but since that time ive been denied the oppurtunity to spear the first weekend of dec twice because of unsafe ice. have had experiences where the lake i wanted to set my house had open water but the lake we are on has most of the time had enough ice. it depends on the lake and its structure. my ice requirements are 4-5 inches to walk, 6to7 for atv, and that weekend i never cross water thats deeper than 10ft. KNOW YOUR LAKE.

you are correct. there is alot of differences on the lakes for which one gets ice. there are some lakes that take forever to freeze over.

yea, like roosevelt lake in outing mn.sometimes i dont see ice on that bad boy till mid jan.

I went up to the shack to put hi-fax on my spearhouse last weekend,The nice weather,the boat,poles already rigged for eyes!I just couldnt bring myself to work on the spearhouse.Oh-well the eyes tasted great and theres always this comeing weekend!

i just want it to get below freezing here soon, becuase i am getting the itch to get out there. But i have a feeling its going to be tough to have ice before Dec 1

The water temp was about 50 degrees so it will be awhile I think!