Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Stick in Mud

Which five crankbaits???

Stick in Mud    289
Stick in Mud

Hello all-

While I'm originally from MN, I have been in school or out of the state every autumn since time immemorial. Now I'm back home with a little tiny amount of money and a free weekend for chasing some fall walleyes on the Pond.

So, since I only have enough money for about....five crankbaits, which five should I buy? Or is five really not enough to cover it? I might be able to steal a few more dollars from the gf if I promise not to bug her next week.

So, most of this fishing is going to be at night. Should I worry about lure profile, color, wobble, size, brand? I'm a river guy at heart, so this lake stuff is all a bit new.

And thank you in advance for the help!

Carl

hanson    1
hanson

I'm not sure how valid my advice will be as I'm fairly new to this as well. But the discussion has to start somewhere and I'll jump in.

#1 - Rapala Husky Jerk size 12 in Firetiger

#2 - Rapala Husky Jerk size 12 in Clown

#3 - Smithwick Suspending Super Rogue in Lazer Craw (I would say Rapala Husky Jerk size 12 in Orange Craw but that lure is no longer available)

I'll just leave it at 3 baits to start. One thing to remember is the 3 baits I mentioned all suspend, and they all have rattles, and troll down to that 10' mark or so. 1 is a medium color (firetiger), 1 is a chrome, shiny color (clown), and 1 is a dark color (lazer craw). Moon, cloud cover, and brightness of the night will determine which one to pull.

There are plenty of other baits that fit these criteria as well and I'm interested to see what kind of responses are posted.

MuleShack    0
MuleShack

Some have said that in the darker (no moon) conditions, use a darker profile bait. And consequently in the full moon (brighter light) use a brighter profile bait.

I'm just regurgetating information because i haven't tried this theory out yet.

Also plan on coming home with only 3. smirk.gif the rocks seem to find them raps.

2 os us were up there 9/29 and we lost 4 raps trolling, and this was during the day. grin.gif

I would get a silver minnow HJ in 9 or 10 or 12 or a Perch color to match the forage.

hanson    1
hanson

Quote:

Also plan on coming home with only 3.
smirk.gif
the rocks seem to find them raps.

2 os us were up there 9/29 and we lost 4 raps trolling, and this was during the day.
grin.gif

I'm down 1 crank so far this fall. I wasn't happy. frown.gif

PerchJerker    0
PerchJerker

Start with the 3 Hanson mentioned. Add a blue/chrome and a perch pattern to get to 5. Could be either #12 husky jerks or rogues, have a few of each.

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

Husky Jerks size 12 or 14. Try silver/black. Don't forget about shallow running shad raps, size 5,7,9. or the new minnow raps. The crayfish color, clown, firetiger, chart./silver, black/gold, Tenn. Shad (one of TO's favorite) I know Borch, we talked about this when we were out last Sat. I have some of the discontinued Orange HJ in size 10/12/14.but haven't used them yet.

BigD    0
BigD

Hj10 firetiger

Hj12 firetiger

Hj10 blue chrome

Hj12 black gold shiner (not sure exactly the name)

Hj12 perch

Team Otter    0
Team Otter

#7 Shallow Shad Rap - Perch, Fire Tiger, or Clown

#13 Floating Rapala - Blue and White, Black and Gold

#12 HJ - Tennessee Shad

#9 Salmo Minnow - Dace, Real Roach or Hot Perch

#5 Salmo Hornet - Shiner, Viking or Pearl Orange

Borch    313
Borch

My list is a little different but not a whole lot. The 5 lures whould differ based on Moon phase and water temps. But not taking that into account here they are...

1. HJ 12 in Firetiger

2. Suspending Super Rogue in Clown orChrome/Black

3. Thunderstick in Perch or Firetiger

4. #13 Floating Rapala in Clown or Chartruese

5. Floating Rattlin Rogue in Firetiger or Silver

If you have a few extra dollars I'd add...

1. SSR #7 in Shad

2. #9 Salmo Minnow in Hot Perch

With these cranks you can cover water from 3-12 feet and have some options regarding float/suspend, quiet/noisey, bright/natural and tight/wide wobble.

Good Luck!

hanson    1
hanson

How come nobody can keep the list to five??? LOL! wink.gif

It seams for each model, HJ-12 for example, a guy needs 3 or 4 different colors of that particular lure. Multiply that by different manufacturer's and models, multiply that by different sizes, and multiply again by colors and yowzer! Thats a lot of cranks. smile.gif

Stick in Mud    289
Stick in Mud

A lot of cranks AND a lot of $$$$$!!

Thanks again guys for all the help. I will be heading to Fleet Farm to pick some up. We are going to be up by Myr Mar, so I'll let you know how the fish are biting up that way as well.

Does anyone cast cranks? I have a few Rapala Long Casts that I throw around the rocks here in Saint Cloud and Sartell, and I've caught a few in the spring casting them on Mille Lacs, but I assume that trolling is just less work and covers more water?

And what is the best way to connect the crank? I think I have some Berkley cross-lok snaps...or should I tie directly to the fireline?

Carl

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

I know. I just started purchasing Husky Jerks 2 months ago. Anywhere from size 10 to 14. I don't even want to know how much I've spent. Not to mention the tackle box I need to purchase to store these in.

I guess you have to remember the saying"You gotta pay to play"!!

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

You could try casting in 2-3 ft. With floating Raps.!!!

cjac    0
cjac

Hi Carl,

Fleet Farm had some Thundersticks for $3, and even in the colors mentioned above. Just to clarify, you'll be looking for the shallow runners of all these baits, not the deep ones.

Connection: I was direct tying, no issues with that, but you can do a cross lock. Another option is flouro, using a uni knot to join the Fireline to the flouro. However, based on the limited $$$ situation, go cross or direct, as the flouro is not cheap.

Casting: In the daytime if you can find some of the weed edges up there towards Myr Mar, sure wouldn't hurt to try throwing to the edges. Most the action now is night, and for most it's like you said, easier and able to cover more water.

Good luck, Chris

soldoncass    0
soldoncass

SO MANY choices , so little time.....

I may throw a "wrinkle" in your choices. ha! Although we don't normally troll (Contact Us Please), the places we have tried it, the jointed raps in #9 perch normally have a hand in the "catching" part. The other one that was a success a couple weeks ago ,on the lake we were on ,was a suspending rattling rogue in silver-black.

I always do a price comparison in several stores before I buy. You may be able to squeeze out 6 baits for your 5 price if you shop around grin.gif. Check out Sportsmans warehouse as well as fleet wink.gif. You don't have to start with 50, but you probably will end up with that many, or more, once you get started and find the bargains.....and a bigger box to hold them....and a bigger boat....more poles and reels....it's a disease. ENJOY being "sick" like the rest of us. grin.gif

Shack    16
Shack

This is like asking a kid what he/she would like for Christmas! Your going to get a different answer every time!

markkstanley    0
markkstanley

Crosslock snaps don't tie direct. And yes you can cast even at night. If you continue to pickup fish trolling a certain spot stop and cast it. It's much more efficient. We caught some nice eyes doing just that last year.

Hines R    3
Hines R

#1 - Rapala Husky Jerk size 12 in Firetiger

#2 - Rapala Husky Jerk size 12 in Clown

#3 - Smithwick Suspending Super Rogue in Lazer Craw (I would say Rapala Husky Jerk size 12 in Orange Craw but that lure is no longer available.

Exactly what Hanson Said!

I'd get 2 of each of these and go with the Kiss plan

Firetiger is good for transitional light, or if the waves are affecting moonlight penetration. This bait is generally supposed to be better earlier in the evening.

Clown with the chrome sides is the best bait for bright moonlit nights. Moonlight reflects off the sides and the fish pick up the flash.

Dark nights are best with the Smithwick Rattlin Rogue Lazer Crawfish or darker baits. I'm actually painting baits this year to give me more dark bait options for those darker nights.

Ryan

TroyMcClure    0
TroyMcClure

I personally went from one tray of cranks to four in the course of two weeks. Suddenly all of those husky jerks look like they can catch fish, and look at the red bill on that craw colored floater, and ooh are those shallow shads on sale, and look at the new Matzuos. I just can't control myself, but lures always catch more fishermen than fish.

olski    0
olski

Tell ya what. I was lucky when I fished just walleyes. The last few years I've fished mostly bass talk about spending $. I still have a couple boxes of walleye cranks along with 3 boxes of bass cranks. The worst part is I think I have probably caught 20 bass on cranks in the last 5 years and they were probably only on 3 baits. But boy they look cool in the store. confused.gifP.S. CRANK BAITS FOR SALE!

polarsusd81    0
polarsusd81

I went with TroyMcClure to fleet farm the other night and they had #5 shad raps in Orange Craw (leftovers from a FF 50th aniversary special edition). They were on sale for 1.99 so I instinctively picked one up. I would think that would probably work alright with correct rod positioning and length of line. I will give it a shot next Thursday.

BTW - looks like today would be another beautiful day on the lake.

Paul Waldowski    0
Paul Waldowski

Quote:

BTW - looks like today would be another beautiful day on the lake.

Yep!!!! Gonna be a nice night out there tonight. Sure hope the fish are bitin'