Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arcticcat400

power steering pump?

7 posts in this topic

had the power steering pump go out of my 97 chevy z71 so i took it to be replaced after getting it replaced it still wasnt working so i took it back it turns out that the resevoir was leaking so i got it replaced and got it back tonight and on the print out from the shop it said "engine has low rpms so steering is stiff until rpms are raised" so i drove it a while and its very hard to steer from a dead stop but when your moving faster it works fine so my ? is there a way to change the rpms or what do i do?

With the transmission in drive the engine RPM should be 525-575 for a 5.7 and 675 - 725 for a 5.0. If your vehicle is within these specs than the pump should be turning fast enough to provide enough pressure to the gearbox.

Have you tried to raise the RPM while parked to see if it turns easier? Any unassisted power steering will feel easier to steer while moving.

i'll check and see what the rpms are and yes i have raised the rpms and it does turn easier but its still harder than it used to be from a dead stop

Air in system yet!

I think a good way to bleed system is turn steering wheel back and forth (lock to lock) many times and this bleeds system. Or reg. driving!

That or pump has something wrong with it. Line blocked or pinched!

Do you hear any whining noise pr squealing noise when steering wheel is turned.

Did you leave any Elec. wires unhooked at pump or lines?

i talked to the mechanic and they said the pump only pumps when its in demand but theres still gota be something because it never steered that hard with the original pump before it quit and i dont know how they expect you to drive it like it is and no there is no winding noise at all

I would talk to the service manager, and ask him to drive it with you, then tell him if they wont fix it right you will bring it to someone who can fix it and give him the bill.

Ya, I would talk with service manger about this and yes a test drive is on order!