• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

South Metro Bowhunting??

keithj1621

I am wondering if there are any decent areas open for bowhunting in the South Metro/Rosemount area. I am going to be at Ft. Snelling next week and my evenings are wide open. I would love to fill them in a tree stand. Can anyone offer any ideas??

Keith J - Brainerd

If memory serves me correctly, there is a fairly new WMA between Lakeville and Northfield, but I don't have any sort of clue where it is... Just heard about it last year and this may be the first or second year it is open.

Pretty tough to find good land anymore in the south metro, unless you know someone. That is a sad state of affairs, but over the years, too many hunters have either abused their privileges, or somehow disgruntled the land owners...but more landowners are hunting now as well.

good luck in your search...

Steve

There is a new WMA just south of Rosemount in Farmington. I Drove by one night last year to find out where it was, and there was 4 or 5 trucks parked there. I have not checked it out yet.

That is a new WMA, but it is not open to public hunting as of yet. They did a very limited lottery draw for bowhunting in there this year (I didn't pull mad.gif). Plus only 2 of the 6 sections will be open to hunting this year. It will be patrolled and you need the permit to be in there. It was part of UMore Park. The U of M gave up 2000 acres of land in exchange for their new stadium.

They say it may be another year before it's fully open. They're trying to figure out how to keep the pressure down to a reasonable level in there. Which in the long run will be a good thing.

Good Luck!

Ken