• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scent of Choice???

frummybear

I know there are a lot of different scents to buy. Some may be better than others, some are a lot more expensive than others. What are some brands of scent(urine) of choice that people have had success with?? Do you like to use the scent dripper of just walk the area with the urine on your boots??? Fire away with your choice and a story if you like.

I like special golden estrous. I drag it behind me to my stand and hang it up. I shot a real nice buck 3 years back that followed the drag right the the branch it was hanging on. But i may try whittcombs this year, i heard their scents are greatr and it is hard to get anything that doesn't have artificial additives and from what i understand whittcombs is 100% real deer urine and each bottle is from the same deer.

Speaking of Whitcomb's... Last year I stood infront of the freezer at Gander until my fingers were numb from the frozen scent trying to figure out which one I wanted. Buck or Doe urine. What is the best choice if I were to get one or the other? I hunt the big woods north of two harbors so the deer population isn't the largest. I do target the bucks more than the does. Do I get the buck urine to irritate the bucks or get the doe urine to attract the bucks? ah decisions smile.gif

During the rut, I've only used Doe urine, I have seen them come to it on it a string. I might try buck uring at a scrape or during prerut, but I almost exclusively use doe pee, or no pee at all.

James Valley here too.. Lethal Weapon and Full Draw to be exact in gel formula.. Also, have had good luck with Mrs Doe Pee.

In my own hunting game, I use my scents not only to draw deer in, usually through a trail laid down on the ground, but to also position deer for a better shot.. Always trying to make the deer to turn their heads the other way... With the James Valley scents, once a buck locks into the trail they seem to follow with intent and at the end of the trail they smell the other way to the wick I have hanging off a limb to position the shot.

Is there a such thing as to much scent in trees? I usually set up sent wicks all around me & the 3 other guys that hunt our land also set up perimeter wicks around them using different brands. I guess the idea is to make it smell like a whore house. wink.gif Not sure if this is good idea or bad idea. We hunt in a slug area so like I said there is 4 of us in a area of trees. Helps knock down the human scents also. I have also started putting up drip bags around on there trails. Usually just use doe pee thats on sale. Haven't really noticed if any are better than the other? I also make sure to use cover scents. The drags are also a very good idea. I don't waste money on buying anything. I just cut some cloth off something, soak it in doe pee in a sealed tupaware for a few days prior to hunting. The morning before I go to my stand I open up the container (be sure to stand back when opening this baby, if you catch a direct wiff it may knock you out) then hook it to a shoe lase and tie it to my boot then let it drag to my stand then I let it hang from my stand also. However, I have had the bad luck the last few years. The deer always seem to run to the other guys stands. One of the years the luck will come back to me & da tirty pointer will be in my sights. smirk.gif

Here's a money saving idea. Tampons work great for sent wicks. Basic non-sented type. Just tie a loop in the string and hang.

Check out "Craptonite" on Ebay. I know these guys and they consistently put big whitetails on the ground. Or google craptonite products. I use the scent and it is second to none.

I have used Whitcombs once. Golden estrus many times. I honestly have yet to prove to myself that they work. Though every year I still end up buying for the chance that one time having a buck come cruising in.

The fact is ...urine is urine. Deer cannot tell the difference. Some companies even make artifical urine. If it is an active scrape, human urine will work just as well.

This isn't just my opinion, seminars are teaching this...save your money, drink lots of coffee and have at it.

Whitcombs is the only stuff I have used, if I use a sent. They give you sent wicks to tie to your boots for free (no hanging tampons grin.gif ). I would never live down a buddy of mine catching me with tampons tied to me and boots, let alone a CO grin.gif .

Whitcombs is a great place this time of year! You can bring kids up and look at trophy bucks and (if you want) watch them extract deer urine from bucks and does (have not done this yet). Kids will buy some feed from the gum ball machine and feed the deer. There archery area is pretty cool also. They have some monster buck mounts on wall and a tone of pics on wall. I think monster bucks come from a privet hunting area or Camp Ripley hunt!

When I have used Whitcombs, I have had good luck with does following trail and then bucks followed!

I am not much of a sent guy, but Whitcombs is sure a nice place to stop with family if you are a hunter and have hunter kids. They have a blast! Live deer and live monster bucks!

I have had numerous bucks come and sniff the wick using trails end 307. This year at the archery pro shop i heard some guys talking about scents, and they all agreed on the James Valley, i think it was, which has already been mentioned. the pro shop in Roch charges 9.99 for it, but 4 guys were swearing by it, one guy saying he just opens the bottle and sets it on a cow pie, and bucks will come out across the pasture, drop their head, and sniff all over till they come right up to the jar and lick it, and paw at it, totally engrossed in the stuff. the other guy said he uses a stick to apply it on licking branches and another guy drags it behind him. They all said they have taken bucks using the stuff. I bought some, but forgot it when i was out on sunday. I'm not sure I think they said the full draw, was what they had been using, and also if it is kept in the fridge after use, i guess it can last years.

Do they really lick up pee/urine?

I have seen deer go nutz for deer cane and other mineral toppings, but I think all they do for urine is follow sent to were ever its coming from. I could be wrong, but the couple times I have used sent and it seemed to work was like I said the doe followed trail I poured coming out of thick wood cover. Doe came right out in a large open field right were I poured sent. I did not see doe pawing at ground, just her head bobbing up and down and slowly coming out into open. Then a little 6 pointer came after words, again slowly with head bobbing up and down!

I think the guys who sell the scents come up with all kinds of lines to sell their product to whom ever ask's...

the James Valley isn't pee, it's a gel, and yes i would say 3/4 of the stuff out there is designed to lure the hunter not the hunted. watch out for the gimmicks!

Quote:

and yes i would say 3/4 of the stuff out there is designed to lure the hunter not the hunted.

That made me LMAO grin.gif!!!!!!!

Quote:

the James Valley isn't pee, it's a gel

Sorry, I never heard of it before! I asumed it was a some type of urine lure!

So if pee is pee does it hurt to pee off your stand? I have always got down dug a hole then buried it. Does this have to be done or can I just pee off my stand?

i think it depends on who you ask, human pee is, well human, deer are "programmed" to retreat from human odors. Some people i know, use one of those urinals from the hospital, you can pee in it, and empty after your hunt. Personally I always bring a 1 litre bottle of pepsi or dew, cause they have the wide opening. Then after drinking, you can fill that up, cap it off and pack it out with you. grin.gif i value my time out in the woods, and would hate to have deer not come in , cause they smelled pee, but then again, people say don't smoke when hunting, and I've shot 10 or so deer with a marlboro hanging out of my mouth.

Until this year I have been wherry of peeing around where my stand is located, but this year I have been reading from multiple sources that deer will come in to investigate where you pee, especially if it is in a mock scrape. Their theory is that all in all pee breaks down to be the same thing, ammonia. So, I decided to try it out, a few days ago I made a mock scrape 25 yards from my stand on a well traveled deer stand. I guess I will see if it works or not, although when I was out yesterday in the rain it looked like there was a track on one of the sides of the scrape. It hadn't been reworked, so I took a stick and reworked it and peed in it again. I haven't seen a buck on this piece of land yet, so hopefully it works. I will let you know.

I wouldn't pee around my stand. However, here is my 1st hand Story.

2005 season - I am making a deer drive to my brothers. Now and then I will use a deer grunt while stalking through the woods. I was walking alond a Norway ridge when I needed to pee. I was just finishing zipping up when I heard grunting ahead of me. I assumed it was my brothers messing with me on the stand. However, it was coming closer... Sudenly a 8-pointer is walking down the ridge in front of me grunting with each step. I almost started laughing. He had his head down and mind somewhere else. I let him come to 20 yrds away and shot him in the chest facing me. He ran forward (almost hitting me and died 10 feet away. Now, I KNOW that buck came to the urine! At first I didn't believe it, but after looking at the facts... wind, noise, my back trail, etc. That was the one thing that would have returned that type of behavior.

my 'pee' story. (yes, the Rut was on!)

I still wouldn't pee by my stand - but maybe would try to create a scrap & see what would happen????

Butch

The difference is, you have to use the scrape, or be good at

making a mock scrape. Use the Dew bottle or equivalent, then if you find the scrape, dump it. You are correct in not doing it from your stand.

I pee off my stand all the time, never once have I had a deer sniff it and bust out of there. I had a small buck come down wind of me one day right after I peed off my stand and of course it all didn't land on the ground but hit tree branches on the way down and he didn't even flinch. thats my experience.

For scents, I always make sure my clothes are washed in scent-free detergent to start out. I then spray myself down with a scent eliminator with the earth musk added to it. I also spray the bottom of my boots and pant legs with racoon or fox urine (unless it is the rut and I am trailing a doe estrous to my stand). I usually use the cheaper doe estrous because I have shot a few bucks with them and they all seem to work if they are fresh and stored properly. Sometimes they do make the does act a little skittish and they actually will sniff it, run away, come back, sniff, run away and so on. I don't know why they do that, but I suspect that maybe I put it out too early or something. Lastly, I have found that the deadliest weapon you can use for scent during the rut is an actual tarsal gland off a deer that you or a buddy has shot in the past week or so. Take the tarsal gland and cut it open and rub it all over a scrape or mock scrape and then hang it from a limb somewhere close to your stand. I have had bucks literally come ramming through looking for the source of the scent and tear scrapes apart with their necks just flaring. They will usually do a bunch of lip curls and thrash their head around too, it's absolutely hilarious. It's the best thing you can put in the air during the rut, hands down. Just remember to take it down each time and stick it in the freezer over night so you can get a few uses out of it. I actually will go to a registration station at rut time if I have not filled my tag yet and hang out there for a while in hopes of a hunter coming to register a buck and I will ask if I can cut the tarsal glands off. Most don't care and will let you cut it off their deer. Good Luck all.

GoggleEye