Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evinrudespeed

Fish Lake Trip!!

6 posts in this topic

I have some buddies coming up this weekend to do a one day fishing/camping trip...were planning on hitting Fish Lake near Duluth. This past summer we slayed the crappies, but very few eyes. Any news on the "Walter" bite?" Are the crappies spawning, and getting active. Does anyone know about the water level...has to get higher after these last few storms? Thanks alot for any info...much appreciated.

As usual this time of year, there should be some Crappies staging in the deep water along the north shore.

While your hunting for eyes, you might find better crappies in in 8-10' close to weeds. 1/16th oz jigs and crappie minnows in that deep water and shallower water for crappies.

For eyes I'd stick to shorelines and islands or flats along those shores. A lot of the weeds will be knocked down but theres still some, keep an eye out for those areas. Troll a minnow harness(spinner) in your search then switch up to 1/4 oz jigs once you locate them.

Frank-

Thanks for the info...I'll give you an update. Good luch fishing if you're getting on the water this weekend!!

I got one that was 26 and a half inches this week that was tagged #f181767...talk about catch and release working, about 2-3 hours later fishing the same spot I caught the same fish again. Hopefully no one returns her tag. Water is still real low even with the rain.

Weather conditions were great this weekend for some great camping. We mostly stayed on the north shore of the lake. Able to catch an alright amount of crappies in deep deep water(20+ feet)...catch a couple, move again, catch a couple more-that was our pattern. Not many eyes to count. We did catch a 21" pike, great eater. Thanks for the tips...I might try a different lake this weekend-maybe up Hwy 53 north??

evinrudespeed, thanks for reporting back. Not many eyes on that North shore but the crappies are there. Once in a while you tie into a big Pike thats out targeting those crappies.