• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gamma copolymer/Ice Line? Dietz?

TurnUpTheFishing

Question

I was impressed with gammas copolymer and Im looking into giving Gama line a try this winter, few questions though. Anyone know the difference between the ice line and regular copolymer? Think I would have problems using the regular copoly for ice fishing? Anyone used the ice line yet?

10 answers to this question

I have used the Gamma ice line the last couple of years and REALLY like it. I plan on fishing it again this year... let me send a few e-mails and see what the chemical make up is different from the ice to the regular copoly.. or if its just a smaller spool and different package... I'll post a reply once I get one.

I used it with good results last year. Plan to respool it again. The guys at Cabelas told me it's the same line, just packaged differently.

Ok... have been in e-mail contact with a few of the dudes at Gamma. They are pretty tight lipped as most companies are about exactly how its made, and they have every right to be... I believe I have the story right, but have been wrong before, and will be wrong again grin.gif.

From what I understand, diameters are modified, as is the processing to achieve the desired attributes of suppleness and strength. I don't believe there is any chemical difference. So.. the same, yet different...

I do believe the ice stuff is slightly limper, which then gets less limp as the temps drop. But I do feel its important that it starts limper. I'm sure you could use the summer stuff, but if you can get your hands on the ice stuff, why take the chance? Thats how I feel about it.

Deitz

Thanks for the help!

I didnt need the exact formula just curios if it was same line different package...

I can get a great deal on the regular Copolomar. I want to try the Ice line too but have yet to see it in any stores. I think Ill give them a side by side comparison this winter.

If you can get a great deal on the copoly- I would say get it.. its great stuff.. I did have 6lb regular co-poly on one of my ice rods last year, and it did fine.. Not even sure I could tell the difference. I also tried the floro stuff and really liked that for panfish, as it helped get ultra small lures down the hole.. as florocarbon sinks.

My search for the Gamma ice is not going too good. Does anyone know of a local store that sells it? I really dont feel like paying shipping on a few spools of line.

Thorne Brothers will be closest to you.... There are more stores that get it through distributers... I am only able to check who direct orders it..

Marine General - Duluth, MN

Thorne Brothers - Fridley, MN

Gene's Sport Shop - Perham, MN

Bluewater Outdoors - Bemidji, MN

So Thorne Bros does have the Ice line? I didnt see it on the website and just figured they didnt carry it. Thanks again, Deitz!

Give thornes a call...763-572-3782 But from the information I got, they should have it.

Glad I was able to help.