• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Quick Question for pheasant opener

trailratedtj

I heard about my question before but couldnt really remember the correct answer. Ive trained a pointer before with great results and as most know im training my almost 8 month old lab for retrieving duties. would using him on pheasant opener hurt or confuse any of his retrieving skills or training? He does know how to hunt dead or lost birds. He has no quartering skills or nothing. Just looking to have a good time with him and hopefully have him help me stir up some birds.

Go for it. He might surprise you. You seem to have the right attitude for a young dog - just have a good time.

Without knowing if you have had any major training issues, I would say you will not hurt anything with regards to his retriever training. Good luck and have fun!

Quote:

I heard about my question before but couldnt really remember the correct answer. Ive trained a pointer before with great results and as most know im training my almost 8 month old lab for retrieving duties. would using him on pheasant opener hurt or confuse any of his retrieving skills or training? He does know how to hunt dead or lost birds. He has no quartering skills or nothing. Just looking to have a good time with him and hopefully have him help me stir up some birds.

Be very careful if he has never been on live birds, because he may run after them when they flush. On the first trip I would use a checkcord so you have control.

2thepoint, thats not a bad idea. he's never been on live birds just frozen or freshly killed birds.

thanks fellas, just needs some reinsurance.

Daniel