Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atfelt

Tomorrow...first time on the Croix

9 posts in this topic

We are going to try out the St. Croix tomorrow afternoon. First time (ever) fishing on a river so I am excited to try out some of the hints I have been reading on this board. I will report back with what kind of luck (or lack thereof) we had.

Lets hope the old 9.9 Evinrude pulls its weight out there...

Good luck! The water should be cooling and the fish snapping.

wish i could have gotten out before you, as I could have sent you some info. Hope you had a good day. How did it turn out for you?

We had a lot fun out there (too bad we could only fish for and hour and half). We went simple and just used crawler rigs in about 20 fow, hoping we would perhaps catch some walleye. We caught a channel cat, some decent perch, and lots of some sort of silver fish. The head had a purple luminescent sheen to it, and they were all about 8" or 9". Caught lots of those. Are they mooneye?

We are going to try out again this week, probably going to try out the Kinni river narrows instead of drifting near shore. We need to stay near the St. croix bluffs launch, and from what these threads say the narrows seem to be a good choice.

What you caught are called freshwater drum aka sheepheads, our FM resident expert is croixeyes. It's a little know fact that he wears green and gold glasses and with these special shades he believes he is catching walleye and thus goes home happy ever time. I bought two pair of them for my clients.

Turk

You don't suppose I could get a couple pairs of those glasses as well? They sound pretty valuable.

Never having caught a sheepshead I was not sure what they looked like. I always thought they were larger than the 9" ones we kept catching.

They do get huge. State record I believe is about 35 pounds. But yeah, average size is 3 pounds or less, with plenty of them little guys to catch. Yeah, a pair of those glasses would be nice...do they work for all roughfish or just sheephead? grin.gif

I will soon have them on the market.You can get them in Sheepshead,Carp,Mooneye and Buffalo.Make sure to grab a couple of pair as you will want the DNR officer to wear them when he,s weighing your world record walleye laugh.gif.Now I just need to invent something that will make the above species taste like walleye confused.gif

Hopefully you'll be making a redhorse model also, they make up about 90% of my catch whenever I fish the croix from shore.