• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are Grouse HUNTER numbers down this year???

SledNeck

I have not run into another hunter in about 40 plus miles walked this year. Whats up with that? I can recall running into alot of guys in years where grouse numbers were REALLY LOW. Heard a few 4 wheelers in the distance, BUT, cant remember the last time I seen someone walking. People are pretty lazy in this particular area and tend to hunt via ATV, so that might be a factor, BUT, that doesnt explain not crossing paths with anyone at all. More birds for me and jr. I guess.

Quote:

I have not run into another hunter in about 40 plus miles walked this year. Whats up with that? I can recall running into alot of guys in years where grouse numbers were REALLY LOW. Heard a few 4 wheelers in the distance, BUT, cant remember the last time I seen someone walking. People are pretty lazy in this particular area and tend to hunt via ATV, so that might be a factor, BUT, that doesnt explain not crossing paths with anyone at all. More birds for me and jr. I guess.

maybe the weather might be keeping them in

I was out two weekends ago near Cross Lake for about 20 minutes and ended up pulling at least 30 ticks off my dog. Didn't want to deal with that anymore...so that's why I haven't been out lately.

Do ticks have nesting sites or something? I couldn't believe how many she had picked up in no time.

You all have good thoughts!

Ticks, weather and (my add in) leaves and ground vegy is still thick. I figure why go when you can not see them flush.

Also, hunting and hunters are down 10% or so from last year. I figure the one method of hunting to feel this first is grouse hunting. Let’s face it; it ranks up as one of the harder to do sports of hunting. Ducks, you sit in a blind and the dog gets the bird, pheasant your are out in nice open area walking in straight lines, deer and big game you sit and wait, aim and shot.

Grouse! You got to go in the thickest stuff you can find and b-line rights threw and most times not even flush anything. I get a hard work out grouse hunting. This is anther thing I look forward to during grouse hunting; I loose a couple of pounds.

during a weekend at the cabin during the summer, we can expect to pull anywhere between a total of 100-150 ticks off the dog between the two days. It helps ALOT that she's white with pink skin. I can't imagine trying to find them all on my old black lab....

My brother and I have been at our shack every weekend up behind Myrtle Lake this year, but haven't hunted much. With the lowsy weather and lower numbers we've spent more time on working on the shack. We put up White Pine T&G in the place the last couple weekends. We put new Red Oak cabinets in. This weekend we are putting some new counter tops in and then probalby head out to our stands and do a little clearing. Last weekend we didn't hunt at all. The weekend before we went out for maybe a couple hours just to take a break from working on the shack. We've simply drove right past many birds and just let them be. The way I look at it hopefully a couple of the birds we've "let go" will make it to next year and reproduce. Kind of like catch and release.

Side note: Not to start an argument, because this has been discussed in great length on this site, but I'm not liking the comment on people up here using ATV's due to laziness. It's a tool just as a dog, but not as productive as a dog. A dog will help you get way more birds than an ATV. Let's face it, ATV's are enjoyable to ride, nothing to due with laziness. I'm the least lazy person you'll probably ever meet. My buddies joke that I never sit down, that I'm always working. One buddy told another friend that when he builds his deck he wants me to help because I'll get as much done as everybody else combined. Rather it is simply a fun day to putt down the trails and enjoy the sites and smells of the woods in Fall. I also have a great bird dog that I rotate. I'll ATV for part of the day and then bust brush with the lab for part of the day, so I'm in both categories.

They must all be up by duluth i guess. I think hunter numbers are way up!! On weekdays and when its raining its not to bad, but nice weekend days ive never seen so many people up around this area. Lucky for me most of them stay on the trails/roads. I have only been finding grouse way off the beaten path this year, when i get tired and walk trails im not seeing anything. With pheasant opening up though i see not as many people makeing the trip north.

Ticks do have nests, and myself and my shorthairs have run into them.... Deerticks are most active in the late Fall, so be careful! I was already put through a dose of lyme's disease meds because one of the deer ticks stuck me. They're thick this year, so be careful in the woods!

And no, hunter numbers are not down near Bemidji....

Hmmmm, doesnt seem like there has been that much bad weather. Sure its been a bit wet, but I cant ever remember the month of sept being so warm at the end. Ive been bit up by mosquitos in october for the first time ever.