Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
jeepguy

Shooting after hours???

jeepguy

I was out in my back yard last night and I could hear gunshots from a field about a half mile from my house. Later about 6:50PM I was out walking my dog and I continued to hear shots. I kept thinking it was a little late to hear shots. Then a few minutes later I heard another series of shots and I checked my phone and the time was 7:04PM. I went home and checked the time tables and noticed that sunset was at 6:41. These guys should not have been shooting that late in the evening. If this continues what can be done about it? Is it my responsobility as a sportsman to report this?

LABS4ME

I think you already know the answer to your question....

All game laws need to be followed... not just the ones we choose to.

Good Luck!

Ken

jeepguy

I do not want to be the jerk who gets someone in trouble. Woudl I be better off going out, if I hear this again, and talking to the guys.

Grant Pearson

Quote:

I do not want to be the jerk who gets someone in trouble. Woudl I be better off going out, if I hear this again, and talking to the guys.

talk to the warden

Jameson

Contact the local CO and get their opinion. Perhaps the CO has warned the people in the past, and now the only thing to do is ticket them. Or, the CO maybe very busy with more serious offenders, and suggest that you give them a warning.

If you don't want to confront the individuals, perhaps you could highlight the shooting hours in the regs, and leave it on their windshields. They should get the idea.

Are you sure that the folks aren't sighting in their guns, or doing some other non-hunting action?

glenn57

i am not defending these guys at all, but depending on what they where hunting they can hunt half hour past sunset and if my math is correct that would be 7:14 pm. personally i quit at sunset.

fishwithteeth

I would contact the local CO. As sportsmen, we need to referee ourselves. It's all about ethics. There are not enough CO's to go around to police all the hunters and fishermen - that's why we have TIP. People who knowingly break the rules give all of us a black-eye. If someone is a couple minutes before or after hours, no biggie, could be a difference in how their watch is set. But when people are 15 or 20 minutes past, that is blatant, and they should be turned-in.

subzero

I agree with GLENN57, if you know that there is something illegal it would be proper to contact TIP. But if they are shooting during legal shooting hours for what they are hunting, it would be taking time from the CO that he needs on known illegal activities. I just think that before scarce resources are used it has been determined they are needed.

Gissert

You cannot hunt waterfowl past sunset. IIRC, big game goes a half hour past, but not waterfowl.

commander019

Shooting ducks and geese after hours is poaching. Make a call to the tip line and let them handle it. They are breaking the law.

livintofish

Turn in poachers TIP #1-800-652-9093

Just pulled it off my speed dial grin.gif

CALL IN ALL VIOLATIONS

livintofish

Jeep

Don't feel bad for a second, this isn't junior high and your not a snich. These guys are knowingly breaking the law, and need to be dealt with.

Jimmy from Cottage Grove

I almost turned in some people last week. Friday night I was bow hunting in lake elmo, and I heard a flock of geese fly over head. About five minutes later, I heard somebody unload about 10 shots right from where they were heading. And the season was only open til 4 then. I would have called the co but I didn't want to ruin my night of deer hunting.

ddsbyday

Call the C.O. Waterfowl is till sunset. They could be target shooting for all we know. Let him or her check it out. From what I see in the C.O reports most of the flagrant violators have multiple violations i.e. no license,no stamps, drugs in posession, and warrents for their arrest. Let the C.O. cuff em and stuff em!!!!!

samtroy

you dont live near watertown do you ? Samething happened on sat. yes on sat. until 7.30pm when it closed at 4pm and again on sun. Me and my son where picking up decoys and the guys in the feild next to us were shooting wood ducks until 7.20pm I tried to let them know what i thought about their hunting but they would not respond. Can I turn them in after the fact or do they need to be caught in the act. I heard they may have shot way over their limit of ducks and one guy might not of even had a license

livintofish

Don't even talk to them, you could be putting yourself into a dangerous situation....I highly recommend putting TIP into your cell phone speed dial grin.gif they don't even see it coming. cool.gif

Jimmy from Cottage Grove

I would have thought they were target shooting. Except that was the only shots I heard all night. And I could tell it was multiple people shooting at once.

EYES101

I am not sure on the rules because I don't participate in hunting them but they could be shooting doves. I don't know the season dates but I think it opens around sept. 1st I have no idea on the closing date. They could also be crow hunting (also not sure on season)but it seems a little strange that they would have that many vollies and be shooting that late. I know I hunt them in the spring but you typically don't get that much shooting the closer you get to sunset. Then again they could be poaching, not trying to defend them just some other possibilities.

Dave S

samtroy,

how's the hunting been going for you? I bought one of your pups last November. Man what a beautiful dog. She's been spoiled rotten since day one. She follows me where ever I go.

If I make it up that way sometime, I'll have to stop by with her so you can see how she turned out.

Back on topic,

if I witnessed someone intentionally poaching, I don't care if I have the biggest buck of my life standing infront of me, they're getting turned in. Our actions now preserve our hunting for years to come.

SledNeck

Last sat. when the shooting hours ended at 4pm we heard hundreds of shots on the water on Lake vermilion. I cant believe how many people dont read the rule book.