• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Re-installing Windows XP

HaywardBound

Question

If I do this will any of my files or pictures be saved or lost forever?

I'm trying to repair it with the XP disk, but if that doesn't work I'll have to re-install.

Thanks.

17 answers to this question

You WILL lose everything. Have you tried a system restore? Not a total restore, but to an earlier date? This has helped me a lot in the past.

If you are having big problems, back up whatever you can.

Are you able to boot up Windows in safe mode?

Thanks Darren...I have done the system restore that did not fix it, but now something really went bad. I get this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt"Windows/system32/config/system

Thats ugly.. mad.gif It is actually in a constant boot cycle so too late to back anything up, and can't even get to safe mode.

I have a spare HDD, so I can put XP on that one so I don't write over my old files...that way I can recover what I need so not all is lost, just a pain.

Have access to another working computer?

If so, consider getting a USB/IDE drive adapter. You can get one for $25 or less. That way, you can connect your HDD to the other computer VIA USB port and recover your data that way. IMO, less painful than multiple installations of XP. And, you end up with a way to have a large portable HDD drive if you ever need to move lots of files without a network or burning CD/DVD.

Got an IT department at work? Mebbe they have one you might be able to borrow.

I got mine from New Egg, the brand was Vantec. Lets you connect IDE (full size and notebook) drives, plus SATA drives.

It's a good idea to put windows on another HDD and then you can back the stuff up. You can try installing windows over itself as well. I've done it in the past and have had some luck with it, but it doesn't always work. Though if you can't get into windows now it won't hurt. However, if you can put windows on a seperate HDD you should be at least able to see your current HDD and get your files off of it.

Hayward If you want I can take care of this for you no problem I have the needed hardware and experience.

No Charge of course...PM me if you want.

Later Pier!

Last time I had this error on a machine the HD was bad. Youre best bet is to put in a new HD and reload from stratch. Take your old drive and put it into a IDE encloseur and try to copy your data off the old drive to the new drive after reinstalling XP. It hooks up to a USB port then its drag n drop.

Quote:

Have access to another working computer?

If so, consider getting a USB/IDE drive adapter.

Cool Whoaru99, great idea! Yea I just got a laptop not too long ago, and this will do the job. Found one for $16.99 at New Egg (USB2). I didn't know about the adapter until now, or I would of got one a while ago.

Quote:

Hayward If you want I can take care of this for you no problem

Pier, thanks man. I may take you up on this. I should be able to get my pictures off the drive then I can reformat it.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Quote:

Last time I had this error on a machine the HD was bad. Youre best bet is to put in a new HD and reload from stratch. Take your old drive and put it into a IDE encloseur and try to copy your data off the old drive to the new drive after reinstalling XP. It hooks up to a USB port then its drag n drop.

My dad had the exact same problem a month ago. He ran fdisk which fixed a few things that allowed him to boot up normally. He then backed up anything that he didn't have already saved on disk but he was lucky he got that far. About a week later it finally gave up and a new hard drive later he was back in business.

You CAN repair Windows XP without having to reinstall your apps or losing your files! And it's not an ancient chinese secret, but there are not many good instructions out there on how to do it.

Google "Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option" and click the very first link. Follow his directions to the letter.

Quote:

You CAN repair Windows XP without having to reinstall your apps or losing your files!

Not if the HDD is damaged, which sounds very probable in this case.

Well, I think my HDD is fine. I'm pulling pictures off it as we speak. grin.gif Important stuff too, like my son's confirmation, birthdays, and sturgeon pictures!

I thought there was way to do it, but wasn't sure. But I thought it was during the install process it asked you some partition questions and maybe that was how to do it?

This USB to IDE cable is working great. I like it because I also have an old laptop that died, and now I can pull some pictures of that HD too.

Jon

Well I've already learned that lesson!

2.gif

Dumb thing is...I already have a spare drive in place just for storage and backup...

Quote:

You CAN repair Windows XP without having to reinstall your apps or losing your files!
And it's not an ancient chinese secret, but there are not many good instructions out there on how to do it.

Google "Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option" and click the very first link. Follow his directions to the letter.

It is worth a try and does work in many occasions, but not always. You know you're hosed when the setup routine does not detect a previous version of Windows. If you proceed on at that point, I think you will loose all your stuff.

Also, I've gotten part way though the rebuild and the process fail because of (if I recall properly) some file incompatibilites. It's been a while but might have been trying to repair a SP-2 upgrade with an original/SP-1 disc.

If you have XP disc--open run type in sfc /scannow--it will instruct to put disc in and it will install missing,corupt, files. system file checker---space/scannow.

Quote:

My dad had the exact same problem a month ago. He ran fdisk which fixed a few things that allowed him to boot up normally. He then backed up anything that he didn't have already saved on disk but he was lucky he got that far. About a week later it finally gave up and a new hard drive later he was back in business.

Running fdisk will erase all data from the drive!!