Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bison9

Need answer to a locator question

14 posts in this topic

Hey all - ok, I am either going to purchase an LMS 335 or the X - 17. Besides the obvious fact that the X - 17 has a larger screen, what are the other benefits? I asked the sales rep (I am at Bass Pro Shops in Gurnee, IL back home)and he said that the X - 17 has a hard drive. Does this mean that lake contours and such are visible on the X - 17 and not visible on the LMS 335? I realize that the LMS 335 takes the lake map chips, but I was wondering if contours for area lakes would be visible without lake map chips..? Any of you know the answer to this? Which one of these two locators would you all recommend? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

arent they like 3 yr old or more models?

Scuse me! I meant to say the LMS 535 not the 335! The sales rep claims that the LMS 535 is this year's model of last year's 332. As far as the X - 17 is concerned, this may be an older model... not sure

What do you all think I should do?

I've fished out of boats with the x-17M and the 332c. The x-17 is by far the way to go. The larger screen will allow you to use GPS and depthfinder easily. The smaller 332 screen makes it hard to use both at the same time. Save a little money and go for the x17M instead of color if $$ is a concern.

The 535 will have around 260 Lakes contour maps already pre-loaded on it, my 520 does. I think the large screen and increase in power (not sure, check the specs) would be the only differences. Don't know about the hard drive, it would have to have an HD on the model numbers.

If you are planning on using it for your main locator the bigger screen is nice when used with a gps, but the 535 used off the front of your boat using a trolling motor has a lot better detail. Like it was said before it is hard to use the gps on on the split screen with the smaller units when you are moving.

Bison --

If there is one thing that I have learned in my 37 years on this planet (spent some time on a planet with 10-inch eyes) is that it is best to do right the first time. There used to be times that I would save $150 and get the smaller one. That would be fine, but I would wish that I had the bigger one. Then I would upgrade a year later and I wished I would have do it right the first time.

You need to do what is right for you and your money. I would wait for a slae or try and find a way to purchase the bigger one. My new one has a BIG screen and I love it. You can't go wrong with the big screen, but the small one would work but if you are anything like me you will wish you bought the bigger one.

Bottom line -- find a way to get the big screen and then enjoy it.

Hitman

Wow! Thanks guys for all of the responses! Hey, I looked again, and actually the two models I was looking at were actually the LMS 525 and the LCX 27 actually (not the 535 and X - 17 - I just got those wrong!!). Hitman and F - dog, I think you are both right - I think the only different between the 525 and the LCX 27 are the screen sizes (the sales rep was trying to say that the LCX 27 had a hard drive and that instead of seeing a blob of water for a lake, that the LCX 27 would have contour maps of lakes... However I thought the LMS 525 had contour maps saved for lakes as well?!? confused.gifcrazy.gif ... If this is the case, then I am all for saving 300 bucks for a two inch smaller screen. I have heard a lot of people very much enjoying the 525. I just want to know if the only difference is the screen size or if there are other important differences between the two.)

I bought the LCX-27C this spring and I LOVE it. Has the 332 or something like that lat year and I upgraded this spring when i got the new boat.

Yeah, I think the 525 is this year's version of the 332.

So, Hitman, do you have the contour maps of area lakes then on your LCX27? Also, does it have the ability to take the lake map chips (Navionics, Hotspots etc..)? I was comparing the LMS - 525 and the LCX27 and it looked to me like the ports that lake map chips go into are different on the two models.

How about the receiver? Are you using the external puck? How easy was it to self install?

Sorry for the questions - a G is a lot of money!!

They will both take the lake master chips. The 27 should hold two chips, and they are not bad to install.

Yeah it all works and plays well together.

I had a few minor problems with the puck but I really liked it once I figured it out.

I've got the 520 (the upgrade to the 332) and it has lake contour maps pre-loaded on it; to my pleasant surprise. Does the 525 have a dual frequency transducer? The small screen in fine; I couldn't justify the extra 300 bucks for a larger screen (my eyes are still good)! You'll like the unit, it's great.