Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whittsend

First time fishing Mille Lacs, open water... help?

4 posts in this topic

We are headed up to Mille Lacs this thursday for 3 days of fishing out of Red Door Resort on the north central part of the lake. I have never fished Mille Lacs during the open water season, so I am not entirely sure what to expect, although I am not new to trolling. Just wondering if anyone can give me some quick pointers/tips/advice that might put the odds more in my favor. The plan is to night troll HJ's and rogues along weed breaks and see what happens. its the new moon this week.. any time of night that might be better than others? The weather looks like it will cool down today (monday) and stay cool through the weekend... Anyone care to guess if the lake will cool an appreciable amount in the next 4 days, and/or if it might trigger the bigger walleyes to move shallower? (i understand it is about 60-61 degrees right now, we were hoping for 50-55 degrees when we booked the trip, but this warm weather was somewhat unexpected.. hoping that even a degree or two decrease would help our cause) Any other help for fishing the north side would be appreciated. Any reports of walleyes and/or perch from the north end?

thanks,

Whittsend

It sounds like you are on your game! grin.gif

I'm not sure what else to say that wouldn't repeat what you've mentioned already.

Your location should be good. Weed line trolling should be good. I'm not going to guess if the water temp will come down, I had around 59 on Saturday. Eyes are biting all over the lake- rocks, weeds, etc. No moon, troll dark(er) color Raps and Rogues. Speed from 1.8 to 2.2 or so.

Good Luck!

I think you are right on. maybe try Lakeside, then move to Fischer's. There were quite a few posts last year around this time with early success from that area when the water temps started cooling off.

Another thing to try, don't be afraid to try a little deeper water maybe 8-12 ft. They shut off Sat eve. around 12:00 or so, we tried shallow with no results. It doesn't hurt to give this a try

PerchJerker did well around Red Door Sat eve. also.

Team Otter, If your'e around you could help with this!!!

As far as colors, Clown, Firetiger, Orange, Perch, silver/black would be good colors to try.

Good luck and post your results.

That's what this is all about, helping everyone becoming better at catching Eyes on "The Pond".

I think you've got a good handle on a starting point. You can expect most of your fish to come out of 6 - 10' of water but don't be afraid to go on either side of that range a few feet. One option I would suggest having "in the bag" is being able to switch to smaller profile baits if the pattern is inconsistent with the larger profile baits. The time frame between 60 to 50 degree water seems to be more of an experiment than anything. Just when you think you shouldn't try it, you're probably an hour late.

Good luck.