Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott M

Leech Lake 08-10

4 posts in this topic

Things are looking pretty rosy for Leech Lake in the next couple years. I will have to include it on the "must fish" summer and winter tours.

I just read that test netting found the second highest walleye lifts ever recorded on the lake and an excellent size distribution. I remember hearing about lots of big fish being caught this past year, and combined with the strong 2005 and 2006 year classes, there ought to be some pretty nice walleye fishing for size and numbers.

Just finished up two weeks on Leech. I share the optimism for the future of Leech Lake fishing. Most days we fished we limited. Fished for 3 - 4 hours each time out. Most of the fish were in the 16" - 17". We caught 8 - 10 slot fish with the largest at just under 26". The slot fish along with the 11" - 13" were released.

We had one day where two of us caught over 40 Walleye in the 16" - 17" size, for the most part, in a 2 1/2 hour window. This was a first-ever for me on Leech. I have had good days but never anything like this! I have to credit my friend who suggested we fish the area, one I do not normally fish.

This fall Star Point and Little Harwood were the most productive areas. Last fall it was all Pine Point and Little Stony. I didn't spend much time on the south half of the big lake. Most days we had south winds or south-east or south-west and the Walleye were on the moss.

Very nice report. Fishing really has been very good on Leech all year. What a beautiful lake, and now we even get good fishing!

Leech is Back for sure, I spent lots of time fishing this summer and fall, tons of fish in all sizes, personal biggest this year was a 27.5 and seen a 34, what a hog, we had been drifting the west goose flats, with a few boats, when the boat next to us tied into her, we were just moving out for a new drift and pulled up the view the beauty before they put her back in. The DNR had a public meeting near the end of Sept. to discuss the idea of stocking again and get imput, any word on their decision yet? I definately like the idea, I caught tons of 10" to 12" fish that I am suspecting are the stocked eyes. The interesting part is I have fished leech for many years and never seen as few boats on the lake as I did this year, I suppose some of it has to do with the number of resorts on the lake compaired to 10 years ago. The slot did hurt the resort/guide business but did wonders for the lake. Leech and Winnie walleye fishing is good and only going to get better.