Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
IceHawk

2nd weekend results

IceHawk

Well how was everyones second weekend of waterfowl hunting?

My hunt was alot better this weekend than last wknds. I was dissapointed in the number of birds I saw and harvested on my slough on opener so I opted to do some hardcore scouting. And was I happy to find what I did. My brother and I found a flooded backwater area on a local river and can you say woodduck city!! smile.gif I bet the area was holding close to 150-200 wood-ducks. Now I know where thay were hideing last wknd. Me and my party of 3 set up and had one of of the best hunts Ive had in while. The birds definately were there and wanted in. We easily harvested our limits of woody's and a couple bonus mallards. I am looking forward to next weekend and to the next few weeks when the weather gets nasty and ol red legs starts heading south!!! smile.gifsmile.gif

fisherking01

Sounds fun. My son and I opted for some private land hunting this weekend. Got out sat morning and got our four woodies, three mallards and four blue wing teal. Great time and great morning to be out. We weren't impressed with the number of birds in the area, but did well, as most were singles, right in the decoys. Taylor, my son, shot well, better than myself, Looking forward to the rest of the season, and of course FIRST ICE!!

Oh yeah, had duck cooked on the holland grill tonight, "AWESOME".

bluebill

scouting is the key found a flooded corn field full of ducks had to work today my buddies went in and pounded

Grant Pearson

2nd weekend sucked!!!! Too many unnamed people around me skybusting at flocks or singles 75 to 100 yards high. I went throught a pack of smokes in 12 hours with people around!!! Would have liked to sky bust their rear ends!

Lip'em

Had one of the best hunts of my life Sunday! Hunted over a flooded corn field not really knowing what to expect. Just after legal time, flock after flock of woodies came bombing in. The action was as fast as you could reload your gun. 6 guys, 12 woodies, in 5 minutes! I have never seen anything like it! Hunted geese the rest of the day but did not see too many. It was fun watching the woodies bomb back into the flooded corn at sunset too!

Also got a little shooting on friday over water near hutchinson and on Saturday my dad and I got 9 birds on a slough near glencoe.

A weekend to remember and I even got a nice drake woodie for the wall! Good luck to everyone next weekend, I'll be hunting cans and bills in Nodak.

Rost

We had an okay day Saturday. The birds are still hard to identify especially at first light. We honestly could have been done in 10 minutes if the birds had some color. Sunday we set up on the mother load field! Shot only nine birds before a nasty thunderstorm rolled in. It was pouring and the lighting was enough to convince us to get the heck out of there quick!

Here is Saturday's pic...

100_0259.jpg

Jimmy from Cottage Grove

I took my buddy on his first duck hunt ever. We hunted here in the metro saturday and sunday morning. Eight Drake Mallards. One Hen Mallard. Four Northern Shovelers. Seven Geese. Too bad it was his first time. He is probably going to think that duck hunting is like that all the time.

Gissert

There were a few birds around on Saturday. Two woodies, a buffie and a few coots for the casserole.

Sunday morning there was not as much action, but I did get one cackling goose. Last night I field hunted in a rain and some thunder, but it looks like the geese stayed on the roost.

swedishpimple

In the Bemidji area we shot some teal on Saturday and that was about it. Most of the woodies seem to be gone, very few mallards around, but there seems to be good numbers of ringbills.

paceman

Did great Friday west of D.L. three of us got our limit by 9:30 am. Shot mallrds, cans, redheads, bluebills, ringbills, teal and a buffalohead. Plus a two geese. Saturday not quite as good, 3 guys 11 ducks two geese, againa mixed bag but no cans or reds. Still lots of fun. Best duck hunting in about 5 years.

Northland Sportsman

2007Pics016.jpg

this is my first duck hunt on Sat. morning. Also got a grouse out back to top off the morning. Not a bad day!

EpicAdventure

Quote:

I took my buddy on his first duck hunt ever. We hunted here in the metro saturday and sunday morning. Eight Drake Mallards. One Hen Mallard. Four Northern Shovelers. Seven Geese. Too bad it was his first time. He is probably going to think that duck hunting is like that all the time.

Where in the metro area did you have such great hunting?

I'm new to duck hunting and had a blast on opener up by Mille Lacs. Since I live in the metro, I tried to find something a little close for this last weekend. I went down to Gores Pool (after hearing that Carlos Avery is just too big of a zoo). I can't imagine what Carlos Avery is like because Gores pool was fairly busy even after paddling what I thought was a fair ways into Mud Hen Lake.

First, there were about as many people as you could get around that little lake and second, there didn't seem to be that many ducks.

Any other suggestions where I could go (by canoe or on foot)? What about all of that state forest to the west of Gores Pool. Is there any access to some of those lakes? Would I have better luck on North Lake?

What should I be looking for when scouting for hunting spots?

Jimmy from Cottage Grove

My uncle has a 160 acre farm in lake elmo. It contains two fully enclosed ponds. Thats where I do most of my hunting.