Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimmy from Cottage Grove

Help Duck Identification

52 posts in this topic

I shot this duck this morning. I thought it was a hen mallard. Once I got it home. I am pretty sure it's not a hen mallard. Here are some pics.

picture235wn8.jpg

picture234oy6.jpg

picture237ua9.jpg

I feel completely stupid that I don't know what it is. All I know is I have never shot one before. Unless it is a really imature mallard.

Consider yourself a certified spoonie wacker. wink.gif

its a hollywood

Thanks. So are they good to eat or anything? Or is it typically a duck you should let pass? They must not be that common around here.

They have darker than average meat. Not the tastiest birds but it can be eaten.

Jimmy, that's a mighty nice little muck raker you got there.

I recommend Lawry's Caribbean Jerk 30 minute marinade, for about 3 hrs.

Got mine at Spoonbill Bay this morning! looking forward to a tasty feast this evening!

Thanks. I will remember not too shoot them next time. We had a group of four come in. And we shot them all.

smilling mallard aka shoveler

Its a spoon bill and they taste just fine

Tis a shoehorn. . . . . grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Drakes can be beautiful in full plummage though. thats about all the good stuff I can say about them though.

I have yet to see a duck that loves decoys more!! grin.gif Shot plenty of them before and in my opinion they taste the same as other ducks.

The first dead spoony in our slough always costs the guy $5. YUCK!!!!

First one to shoot one at our camp has to wear the "Trophy Duck" hat the rest of the day. Cammo hat with a Spoonie head mounted on the bill. Good Times.

Grind it up and throw it in for sausage with the rest, you will never know the difference. We pass on shovelers unless its a skillet day and the shooting is REALLY slow.

smoked one in the head on sunday, tried to pluck it but smelled like Sh#t with the feathers off, they will decoy and fool you with their orange legs, but they are crap

Quote:

My thoughts exactly

Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts exactly

I have never had a problem eating them - due to the dark meat I usually breast them pick the rest of the ducks

Spoonies are great, reguardless of their bad rap they are one cool looking duck, and lets face it, no duck tastes good. I once read a post on here that said somthing to the effect of even a sock would taste good merinated in italian dressing and seasoned with bacon wrapped around it (they all taste the same).

Quote:

Spoonies are great, reguardless of their bad rap they are one cool looking duck, and lets face it, no duck tastes good.

I beg to differ. grin.gif Mallard, Teal, Wood Duck and Canvasback are DELICIOUS! grin.gif Most diving ducks take a little extra preparation to become tasty in my opinion.

Spoonies, Ruddy Ducks, and Mergies are the Tri-Fecta of non-shooters. wink.gif

How do you prepare them with italian dressing and bacon? That sounds really good!! I usually do my ducks and geese in caribean jerk marinaide.

Marinate the breast(s) for a short while in Italian dressing. I then cut them up into smaller pieces, say... 4" long by 1/2" x 1/2" or something like that. Take a piece of bacon and wrap the piece of duck in it and use tooth picks to hold the bacon on. Then toss onto the grill. When the bacon is done, its time to eat! Works great with geese as well.

I never use to like to eat spoonies until i moved up here, man the spoonies taste as good as any duck down there. I don't know what it is, but they are awesome.

okay guys, if you absolutely had to choose: Spoonies, or coots?