• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Blood Lights

Deep_Sinker

I'm looking for opinions on these "blood tracking" lights? Any success or are they a joke. They claim to create a light that makes the blood jump up. Would this work in the daylight as well or only at night?

it's a joke. don't waste your money. Just use the standard white light. that way you're not confused either.

I agree, I have been hooked into them and have found them of little use. The best tracking light I have used is a hand held spot light (1 million candle power or better). You can use regular flash lights or LED's to save on battery life but when the blood gets thin or tough to find, you can crank up the spot light and if there is blood you will find it! Only draw back is you only get about 10 - 15 minutes of juice before needing a recharge. They are very cheap (around 25 bucks) and have worked well for me!!! Good luck!

Hands and knees. Patience. Luck. Practice.

No gimmicks replace these.

FWIW, I've found the old Coleman White-gas lanterns make blood look shiney and black at night. Dew and other moisture just looks normal. I don't trust a fella who doesn't have an old Coleman lantern around somewhere, or at very least, doesn't have a yearning to own one.

A trick I learned as a kid on a thin to no blood trail is a spray bottle filled with Hydrogen Peroxide, we spray the area and look for the foaming bubbles then mark it with flag tape. I have not lost an animal when using it.

Bad side is the late night calls to come and help track folks deer, laugh.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Coleman lanterns here too. Not that 1 million candle power light isn't good ,but as stated they don't last.

Heres a great tip for the lanterns. Add a Fish Bright to your lantern from Soderblooms.

lantern3.html.jpg

They direct a ton of light down to the ground where you want it. In the fish house or portable, the Fish Brights really light up the floor.

Quote:

A trick I learned as a kid on a thin to no blood trail is a spray bottle filled with Hydrogen Peroxide, we spray the area and look for the foaming bubbles then mark it with flag tape. I have not lost an animal when using it.

Bad side is the late night calls to come and help track folks deer,
laugh.gif

I agree and know where you're coming from on the late night calls to help track. I get those as well. It becomes a problem when I have messages on the cell (in the truck) opener morning asking for help tracking. Not to get off track (pun seriously not intended), but that for me is a big moral dilemma. What are others thoughts on that? There's been many times I've wasted half of opener tracking someone else's deer. So here's the question: Do you help someone outside your hunting group track their deer on the best day of deer hunting?

I looked at the primos one untill I saw thre price tag and I guickly moved on. $60+ may have been almost $70,,,,,,,,,no thanks

Yeah, before you buy something that doesn't work, wait until it gets marked down! smile.giflaugh.gif

There is a new product out that you mix together in a spray bottle and spray on the ground or weeds to show blood. I dont remember the brand but its Hyd. peroxide and something. It worked on the blood just fine but also glowed on just plain leaves.

I'm glad I didnt buy it as like most of these items, a big hoax.

Harvey would it be Luminol? It is a chemical we use for blood trace. Great stuff but spendy and you need a UV light to detect it.

Quote:

Quote:

It becomes a problem when I have messages on the cell (in the truck) opener morning asking for help tracking. Not to get off track (pun seriously not intended), but that for me is a big moral dilemma. What are others thoughts on that? There's been many times I've wasted half of opener tracking someone else's deer. So here's the question: Do you help someone outside your hunting group track their deer on the best day of deer hunting?

no let them track their own deer, if they can shoot one, they should be able to track one.

do what i do: leave your phone at home! half the enjoyment of hunting is not being bothered with all the routine bs we have to mess with on a normal day to day basis. If you simply can't be without your phone. take these people to the range before season and teach them how to shoot. that should solve your problem. just my 2 cent grin.gif

Quote:

Harvey would it be Luminol? It is a chemical we use for blood trace. Great stuff but spendy and you need a UV light to detect it.

Thats it.

Luminol--CSI cool.gif

To track someone elses deer? Always if its a friend or family member. Especially kids. But you can tell them if they haven't found it in the first 40 yards, its best to let it sit till Noon. wink.gif

Off the topic:

Tell em to aim for the head. No fuss, no muss, and easy cuttin! I used to think that was heinous when I heard Hmongs did that. Then I saw the results on a public land hunt. Not bad. And you have to admire the marksmanship.

If its not for the wall, its for the ground in one. blush.gif

Back on topic:

If weather permits, why not let it lay the night if you can't find it quickly? Chances are you'll push it into a longer chase than it has to be. And when it runs it'll spread the trail even thinner yet.

Been on too many chases. Take your time and don't walk on your trail. Two people max. Leapfrog the sign. If the hit is good enough, you'll catch up.

I personally wouldn't shoot for the head as you could really mess up a deer with a bad hit.

As far as letting it lay, the area I hunt the coyotes will have supper before I get there the next day.

I will let one lay for a little bit if I think I have a bad hit though. Most often with a decent hit the deer will be going down shortly.

I leave the phone in the truck for a reason.... If it's family, for me it's a must. I hunt wisconsin with my dad and grandfather, and his eyesight is going, so that one is a no brainer. This year, I'll be hunting with a first time deer hunter, so that one, too, is a given. Other than that, if a friend wants help tracking, it depends on 1. what day of the season it is 2. the time of day 3. how far they've tracked it already 4. how good a friend it is, and 5. how successful I've been. This year, though, the celly will be on my belt, turned to vibrate, as my first kid is due right around opener. That way, if The Future Hunter decides it's time to come into the world, I'm there to greet him. Blaze orange and all...

Kingfisher1 I understand I have 5 sons. What I was driving at is, the big moral dilemma should not be yours, but rather that of those who are calling you to come track their deer on opening day, I would not feel bad for not answering their call, or listening to the voicemail they left, as it is your right to enjoy your day. wasn't a bash on you, hope it wasn't taken that way. congrats on the first child, boy or girl? My 8 year old is ready to go sit on stand with me, and it has been tough convincing the wife that he will be fine, so we decided he can go with me during bow season, but not firearms, gotta love compromise!

I know it wasn't a bash on me. My big dilemma was, and everyone will agree, that when a deer is hit, every possible effort should be made to find it. I hate the fact that someone gives up tracking when the blood stops or after 100 yards. The Future Hunter is going to be a boy. He's due November 13th, but he could come early, so the phone will be on vibrate. I told my girl not to be surprised if I show up wearing blaze orange and a flashlight and knife on my belt. The only thing I asked for is opening day of Deer. As long as I get 1 day to hunt, I'll be happy, but still can't wait.

We don't track wounded deer until mid morning, and thats usually only if they are youngsters, or old timers. For the most part, I hunt with pretty good shots, we dont' spend much time tracking.

Also, wouldn't agree with the head shot. I've seen deer with grazed heads and missing jaws, it looks terrible. I would go for the neck way before the head, mostly, I go for the rib cage and heart, just behind the front leg. If you hit it right, you will waste very little meat.

I'm in total agreement about helping youngsters and old timers track and drag out, as well as newbies. I'm okay with helping track the first few times, but it shouldn't be taken advantage of or abused. Also, I won't shoot for the head of a deer unless the muzzle is within 6 inches of the deer's head!!!! It's just not right.

Our neighbors shot for the head for a few years during shotgun season. That was until they'd see their deer on our gamepole with jaws, ears, snouts, and neck parts shot off. The net result when you miss (even by a little) is not just disgusting, it's rather irresponsible to the game animal. I've personally cleaned up such messes before, and whether I want to take a basket-6 or not, I aim to kill when I see a jaw hanging and blood running down their necks all the way to their hooves.

Heart/lung shots are called the vitals for a reason, and they're the preferred aiming point because of their size and importance to the health/death of the animal. Sure, they're adjacent to non-lethal portions of the deer's anatomy, but your target is 3-4 times the size.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think it's best to pass on head-shots.

Joel

Absolutely agreed. It sucks to clean up someone elses mess. You aren't going to get much meat off the ribs anyways, and it is 100% the most probable kill shot.

Well different pokes for different folks I guess.

I'm real sure of my shots before I take them. The head (and I should add neck) game is fairly new to me since I got back into rifle hunting. I do respect deer and feel I owe them a clean kill but I hate throwing away bloodshot shoulders.

I am a practiced shooter and I know my rifle, so I do feel comfortable with that approach. 4 of the last 7 went that way (within 50 yds). Fortunately I have never witnessed a live deer with head damage. But I have seen too many of the 3 legged variety. frown.gif

KNOW YOUR ABILITIES would be my answer to whether or not you need a blood light and possibly the moral of this thread. JMO.

Good luck.

I agree with not taking the head shots. I know that I'm able to cleanly kill a deer by shooting it through the head out to about 50 yards. Just because I'm able to, doesn't mean I'm going to. I'm comfortable with my gun to comfortably shoot out to 425 yards. But, I'm not going to, because at that range, it's deer shooting, not deer hunting. Out west, that may be a different story, but here in MN, that's not the case. Any day of the week, I'll be aiming for the vitals (heart/lung area) because even if I'm an inch off, I'm still going to hit vitals. I just think the head shot is a bad idea, just because there's such a big margin for error.

only time i've ever shot one in the head is when it came crawling out of the woods with 3 broken legs, I figured I best end the suffering as I do respect these animals. (this was more of a point blank range)a small six pointer