Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotteye

River fishing question....

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! Would the end of October or the 2nd weekend in November be better for the river bite? I know there are some unknowns, but these are my only 2 weekends available, and I was hoping to book some soon. Also, is it better to fish near LOW, or should I look for loding towards Baudette. I know these are opinions, but I really do appreciate any feedback!

Thanks! confused.gif

The closer you get to 52-50 degree water the better you will do. At least thats my experiences up there. It in the 57-58 now depending on what part of the river.

As far as where you wont know until then. Im guessing the fishing will be good by Baudette. I like Oct because the temps are usually warmer. Nov. can be snowy and chilly. Not that Oct isnt but if I go in Nov I really pick my days.

Keep a eye on Royal Dutchmans posts and Clementson Resorts website for up to date info.

Howdy.... With 13 years of fishing the river in the fall... the closer to ice-up the better... One of my best trips I had was on a weekend after deer opener... The snow was blowing and it was chilly but the bite was on and it felt like summer... (The River froze the following week...)

Good Luck.... There's always a few hawgs around....

I have fished late enought to where we are pushing ice out at the shore and breaking through ice to get to the next opening.I dont know how to add pictures or I would. I have pictures from breaking through the ice last year. Probably one of the most fun trips ive ever been on.

My first fall adventure was last year, and we didn't fare well (weather & water temp + I think we went too early). I noticed most of the boats were fishing from the wind sock to the mouth near the Canadian side. Is this our best plan of attack for the end of October, or are there any other suggestions?

I used to fish those areas and they are good, but I have gotten more in the rut of fishing near baudette and upto about ten mile the opposite side of baudette. Fantastic river with alot of little spots that are easy to over look.

I am heading up early on Friday and will be there till Monday.

I hope we're still fishing the river the second W/E of November. Agree with the other guys that it just keeps getting better. Tough thing is planning ahead for those late trips, not knowing if you can get on the river or not.

Best outing last fall was with my DNR buddy (don't recall the date & yes I do have a couple DNR buddies) when we were dodging ice floes below frontier. Tucked into a big floe that was moving through and had a great bite as long as we stayed with the ice. Kinda wierd but just a crazy bite.

Swung back up for another pass through the same area after the ice passed and not a bite. "Wasted" a lot of time fighting a 28" eye and not breaking off on the ice. Thank God for Power Pro line and my buddy opening a hole in the ice chunks with the net.

Temp was reported near 50 F. on Thurs. Guess I'm gonna have to replace my "muskrat modified" transducer so I know myself.

I had 51.5 degrees all 3 days we were there. Just got back tonight.

River is really moving. Bring a lot of 3/4 and 1 oz. jigs in pink, gold, glow white and chart.

Plastics tipped with a minnow worked well.

Fishing was on the slow side but if you worked hard and moved a bit you could get a few meals and enough to take home.

Frontier area was very slow for us. The "Gap" and in front of the resorts was our best bite in our 3 days. Cleaner and slower water. Clementson area was decent and better in the afternoon. Thanks Fisky it paid off. No big ones just 22" or so.

Glad you made her back safe and okay and your trip worked out well. Good to see you again and meeting Randy. BIG thanks again for the plugs eh.

So how was the action on that spot early this morning then? Maybe it's an afternoon bite there?

4 Man Starcraft crew anchored down there again? See any whales landed by others?

I may have used up this falls luck yesterday, must now resort to skill!!! LOL!

Norm

Northlander,

A little more info on the "Plastics" that are working would be greatly appreciated.. wink.gif

Tanks!!!!!

Hey everyone- I “really” appreciate all the good tips, advice, & stories you all have shared (now & over the years). We have decided to go up Oct 26th-28th (Friday-Sun). Small window of opportunity, be we are keeping our fingers crossed (weather & fishing)! If anyone is going to be up there, please stop by for a drink (or a few). It will be 4 of us in a Crestliner 1850 Sport-fish (we have 2 white-heads with us, so we are easy to see). I just RSVP a cabin at Wigwam resort.

Fisky they were there and got 3 small eyes and 1 sturgy. We did much better down from them about 100 yards.

Quote:

Hey everyone- I “really” appreciate all the good tips, advice, & stories you all have shared (now & over the years). We have decided to go up Oct 26th-28th (Friday-Sun). Small window of opportunity, be we are keeping our fingers crossed (weather & fishing)! If anyone is going to be up there, please stop by for a drink (or a few). It will be 4 of us in a Crestliner 1850 Sport-fish (we have 2 white-heads with us, so we are easy to see). I just RSVP a cabin at Wigwam resort.

I will be up that weekend at riverbend. if you see a blueish alumnacraft, wave