Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew14741

Red Wing

5 posts in this topic

Anyone have any advice to a newby to the Red Wing area? We are coming up next Thurs-Sun. to fish the area for the first time. Have the fish started their run toward the dam, or would we be better off fishing farther down stream toward Lake City? Any tips would be useful. Thanks.

by next thursday the water temp should drop a little with the cool weather they are calling for i would look at more the river portions above pepin. casting ringworms, paddletails, and k grups slowly swimming it back, jigging it back or snap jigging it back let the fish tell you what they want. i would say a little to early for blade baits but also could be worth a try.

good luck

sory i thought i included locations. try riprap next to current also wing dams. i think you will be able to find sauger and walleye up by the dam but i think you will find bigger walleye farther down stream from the dam.

water temps were 66-68 degree's the end of this past week and the walleye bite was light. Did manage four walleyes on recent outing (9.25 lb and 9 lb on Pepin -- near Maiden Rock were the biggest and also the largest two walleyes i have yet to catch on the River) and the two larger fish were caught, pictured, and released to be caught another day. The upcoming cooler weather and evenings should help the walleye and sauger bite.....once the water breaks that 60 degree mark i would expect the bite to become very good with fish coming up toward the dam. You might want to start Thursday farther down river either fishing the channel north end of Pepin or just north of Pepin (by bluffs on Minnesota side) pitching ringworms or hair jigs (see Everts Resort for an update on latest conditions as they are very helpful and would have the ringworms and hair jigs if you need them). By the weekend i would expect more activity by the dam and the "Y" area. You are hitting the river at the right time as the follwoing weekend i believe is the 2nd annual Saugerama out of Everts.

Good Luck

Redwing... Hmmm... Just fish the dam... As close as you can possibly get... You can never go wrong when fishing a dam.