Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R. Miller

hard/soft mouths

10 posts in this topic

I know a lot of this has to do this genes passed down from the parents. If the dam or sire has a soft mouth, there's a good chance the pup will too, but how does that work with training? My pup has been excellent with retrieving dummies. But when I hide a feather or wing, we gets a little more possesive and really clamps down on it. Now, I'm very enthusiastic about his overall interest in birds and feathers. He's only 11 weeks old and I can see that already. I'm just wondering what people suggest for training a dog to have a 'softer' mouth in case I see any need for that in the future months.

I dunno how much it helped, but when i first got my dog i had her retrieving snowballs. Although that prob doesnt help you this time of year.

One school of thought is to start them retreiving frozen birds if they tend to be hard on the birds! I would get all the advice i can if you think hard mouth is going to be a problem. the longer it goes the harder it is to change!

Yeah, I think it's kind of a tough call yet, he's not even 12 weeks old. I just notice that the few wings I've let him find...he really clamped down on them. He's still learning the 'drop' command, and is catching on rather quickly. Pigeons...or what kind of birds were you freezing?

I would start with pigeons or quail.Does he do it with all of his retreiving objects or just birds? Another option is have him retrieve a hair brush or something that he will not want too clamp down on. I would not get too drastic here. I have heard of putting spikes in birds etc.I would not go there! If it persists I think force fetching can help also! But I would not jump to any conclusions. 12 weeks is kinda young.The hold comand can be usefull also. Teach him to hold a bird with out chomping it, but i would wait till later for this also!

Im sure you will get lots of good info here so keep checking!

He's 12 weeks old.....

Good Luck!

Ken

Like LABS is stating, he is 11 weeks old. Let him chew those birds up at this age. It is just the birdiness of the puppy coming out.

In a couple of month you will get that taken care of, don't get overly concerned at this age.

GOOD LUCK!!!

at 12 weeks there could be some teeth getting ready to come in and chewing just feels good.

Musky,

He's 12wks don't become overly concerned as others have posted.

There is some teething happening. Mostly let him be a pup right now. There are some that suggest that the formal retrieving training doesn't start until they have all of their adult teeth. The thought on this is that while shedding their milk teeth there probably is some discomfort & some pups might associate this discomfort with the retrieving training.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for the replies. Clyde the Glide has been an awesome dog so far. Can't say enough about Heartland Setters in Atwater MN. He turns 12 weeks old tomorrow, and my two old Britts seem to be getting along better with him now. Should be fun grouse, woodcock, and pheasant hunting for the years to come!