Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spear foot 1

Northern King of the Red Sea Jonny P

7 posts in this topic

I have a couple questions for Jonny P and the rest of you that brave the red sea of the north grin.gif How has the year been for nortern fishing? average, better than average? Also how do you guys feel with the slot limit and what effect do you think over all will happen with nortern size in the future with the sturgeon,walleye,crappie, and nortern balance in the lake. Thanks, and good fishing.

The northern fishing has been great, heck look at my avatar. What does concern me is the number of large pike being killed off on a weekly basis along with poor handling of such fish pre-release the norm. I feel that the pike fishing is going to level out and become average with fewer 45"+ fish showing. We are killing off the big spawner females at an alarming rate, I would guess we will be paying the price for that in the next few years.

Thanks Jonny. I see it all to often people handling fish any way imanagable and throwing them back and expecting them to live. I handle fish with the most care I can when being released and being careful I bet my over sucess ratio aint that great with the fish surviving. So whats the ratio of surviors when people use no care at all?

I will be there this weekend hoping to find a monster Norhern or 2!

Quote:

Thanks Jonny. I see it all to often people handling fish any way imanagable and throwing them back and expecting them to live. I handle fish with the most care I can when being released and being careful I bet my over sucess ratio aint that great with the fish surviving. So whats the ratio of surviors when people use no care at all?

Hope your shoulder's not sore from pattin yourself on the back so much!! grin.gif

Hey bradyd, I have a very big set of shoulders so they can take alot of patting grin.gif I didn't mean to get all goofy, but it just bothers me to see so much time and effort put in these lakes and then to have fish die when they could have lived with a little care being handled thats all. Personally like mil lacs lake for example I have seen it so often while fishing. It makes a person wonder on a average weekend how many fish die from bad handling? Or any lake for that matter.

Just givin you a hard time! grin.gifgrin.gif

But I see it all the time also. Way to many people don't know what they are doing out on the lakes.