• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

deer ticks?

brassman

I found over a dozen ticks imbedded in both my labs in the last week or two, anybody else seeing a lot of ticks around lately? confused.gif

I've found a few on my dogs - and me frown.gif in the last couple of weeks. Not sure if they were deer ticks or regular ticks though.

I kid you not; I bet I have pulled 200+ ticks off my dog since opening weekend. I am hunting areas around Mille Lacs and they are just thick! I am using Bios pot, plus I have been using a spray in conjunction and those suckers (pardon the pun) are relentless. 95% I've pulled off have not been embedded, and the ones that were have all been on his head/face were dead. But, they've all been deer ticks. I guess it's nothing new in that area, but darn it's a bit worrisome (lymes etc). I suppose a guy/gal should look up on-line for early symptoms signs...confused.gif

I have seen a lot of deer ticks in the past two weeks! I have had them on me and my dog. My brother's dog and a friends dog also have been treated for lymes within the last month. They are out in a bad way, so don't put away the frontline and OFF just yet!

I pulled close to 100 deer ticks off my Cocker after just 2 hours of grouse hunting with him last Saturday.

I just got off the phone to schedule my dog to go in for his Lymes vaccination on Monday. My vet just recieved his shipment of Lymes vaccine from Merriel. This is the new vaccine that is proven in all clinical tests to be 100% effective against Lymes. It produses an "outer surface protein" on the dog's skin and when a tick bites the dog, the protein is ingested into the tick and kills the Lyme bacteria inside the tick before it can be transferred to the host. Pretty cool stuff! It is the predessessor to the next human vaccine.

Good Luck!

Ken

Just last night I found 7 on my lab. Thank goodness he had his lyme vaccination three weeks ago!!

He's doing well in the limited hunting he's seen so far. I had him to the game farm a couple weeks ago and got the light bulb turned on and he hunted great this past weekend, just not enough birds were seen. 2 flushes way out ahead of us and he flushed up a woodcock that held nice and tight... he flushed it maybe 15' from me...

I got him somewhat steady to shot and retrieving dead birds well, but he needs to gain some confidence with cripples. He naturally quarters at about 10-20 yards and I thought it was to close at the game farm, but I can see a real benefit to that in the woods. He is showing that he has a rel good nose, he just needs to learn to use it to find a bird if it has moved.... he really concentrates on the area where it was at, and not where it has went.

All in all, I'm happy with his progress for being 11 months old. The fun really begins now and for the rest of the fall!

Good Luck!

Ken

Do those products such as Frontline do any good? A vet suggested that I use it on my puppy. Paid $56 for a pack at a large pet comany chain and then found it for $26 on the net. But the farm store sells another line for about $12. I'm confused on what works and how much to spend. Anyone have and solid info?

Frontline is actually a medication that attacks the bugs central nervous system and is not toxic (per se') to the dog. It is more waterproof and generally is accepted as a better treatment.

All the 'cheap' versions rely on insecticides(?) (usually permithrin or pyrithin) to kill the ticks and can be harder on the animal.

I have used both versions. I believe Frontline holds a slight edge, but have had pretty good results with Bio-spot and K-9 advantix.

The dogs that are going to hunt the woods (the Cocker) gets Frontline, the labs are all on Bio-spot.

Good Luck!

Ken

Tom, I have had great luck with the Biospot. Have noticed when he gets towards the end of the 30 day cycle if he has been in the water a lot he might pick up a tick here or there, but a couple of my firends use it on their dogs to and have had great luck. grin.gif

All you guys talking about all these deer ticks is scary. I am yet to see one this fall and I hope I don't.

I haven't see one at all, i been all over fernburg and echo, on all the paths.. nothing. Which i know when i lived here before, if i cut my grass i had some..

Just got back from Mille Lacs Wildlife Area with my old Brittany today. Shot 3 grouse in a couple hours...but have pulled 76 deer ticks off my dog so far. I use frontline for her, but I'm telling you, the deer ticks are bad around Mille Lacs right now. Luckily, I was able to spot them with her white coat. I pulled 50 after each stop on the way home. And another 26 while I rised her off at home! That's after only three hours in the woods frown.gif

Sounds like he is progressing well. With young dogs on grouse, I have always liked to do tracking drills with recently shot birds whenever I had the chance. I'm sure you will have a great fall.

I live up in St. Louis County and we don't normally have that many deer ticks but I have definitely seen more this year then other years.

Live in crow wing cty. There are plenty of deer ticks here. Had 2 stuck on myself. Could barely see them, there so small. Havent seen alot on dog. He has frontline and had a shot for ticks. Seems to work. Didnt see many until we had the wet weather about a month ago.

Live in the Babbitt/Ely area and have pulled several ticks from my labs, and a deer tick from myself within the last week.

I can't think of a better momment when you see your pup realize what it was put on earth for. The genes from a successfull breeding come into play and the future is wide open. Enjoy the ride, and the years of companionship to follow.

Thanks Settersit. I agree! The young ones are the best to watch. I love when their expressions change from confusion to "oh...I get it", all in a matter of one bird! It's like a 1st kiss. There is only one 1st! And we never forget it!!!

Good Luck!

Ken

between 150-200 deer ticks on the dog tonight, and one embedded in me. I going to get him vacinated tmorrow.

Yep...deer ticks are bad in the Bemidji area too. my dog only had 1 hunting partners had some on them.

Quote:

between 150-200 deer ticks on the dog tonight, and one embedded in me. I going to get him vacinated tmorrow.

Just called the vet and they cant give to vaccine for two weeks now because he was exposed to so many deer ticks.

I wish I would have known about the vacanation early.

Was out yesterdy by Kerrick and after hunting just one spot I pulled about 50 to 75 deer ticks off my golden. She has the lymes vaccine I also use frontline well into November. Actually I freshened her up before going whatever tick found the frontline was dead. but still 90% were still crawling. I combed her hair and bathed her when we got home. I am thinking next year I may do a double treatment frontline and like bio spot 2 weeks apart. gonna aske the vet about that?

When I found 77 deer ticks on my Britt around the Mille Lacs area Friday...I didn't find a single one on myself. And I've checked for about 3 days straight! I was wearing my Filson oil tin cloth chaps. Maybe ticks can't latch onto that material as well as other pants and clothing? That's the only thing I can think of.

I've hunted my two labs for grouse in the Cross Lake area 2 weekends and near Grand Marais for one. I didn't see any ticks on the beasts on the Grand Marais hunt, but the ticks in the Cross Lake area are beyond belief. Counting them would be impossible, but I pulled hundreds off each dog each weekend. Most were the kind with the reddish rear-end, but there were also smaller ones, too, many of which I assume are deer ticks. I was brushing them off with a wire hair brush and burning them by the dozen. As I speak you can pull the fur back on their necks and their skin is dark with imbedded ticks. They are both immunized, so I'm not overly concerned about them, but I anticipate lots of the nasty little critters crawling around in my house. Of course, I've pulled several off of myself, also.

Is there any kind of shampoo or anything that will kill the imbedded ticks en masse?

Quote:

Chris,

Where is the world were you? I had my dogs out all day saturday and didn't have any ticks on them.

I did a search on them today the redish ones are the females and the smaller black ones are the males. They are scary all you can do is keep checking yourselves. IMHO every dog should be vaccinated. As well everyone should use Frontline, or simualar product. I found it much cheaper online.

[note from admin: please read forum rules before posting again] (no unauthorized links)

• 3 weeks later...

I see it's going to be in the 20's at night up north this weekend. With these temps, when do you have to start worrying less about deer ticks? Looks like 40's during the day.

Today when down fernburg rd, went up lookout rd and walked all over up there about 2 miles, went down to snow bank rd and got out and walked all over on the trails and across the woods there as well, stopped at wood lake and walked the trail and off the trail down there as well.. Not one tick on Hunter or myself.. But i been thinking, i make my own soaps, shampoos, lotions and so on, i make fisherman soaps to get rid of the fishy smell, i make doggie soaps to help with fleas and ticks, and i use some of the same oils in my own soap i use for the dog soap.. I honestly haven't had one single tick on me or hunter at all..Maybe i should patent my soaps?

LAST WEEKEND ON OCT 20TH WENT GROUSE HUNTING BY CUMBERLAND WI. PULLED ATLEAST 80 TICKS OFF THE DOG. NOT ALOT ON ME MAYBE A COUPLE. BUT FOR 48HRS I KEPT PULLING THEM OFF ESPECIALLY BY THE NECK. WED OCT 24TH THEIR ARE ATLEAST A DOZEN OR TWO THAT OUR BIG ENOUGH NOW WITH BLOOD THAT I CAN FEEL THEM. I TRIED TO GET THEM OFF WITH A TWEEZER AND KEPT POPPIN THE NASTY CRITTERS AND MISSING THE HEADS. SO I BROUGHT HER IN THE VET THIS MORNING AND TOLD THEM TO HAVE AT IT. PROBABLY COST ME AROUND $120 WITH EAR CLEANING ALSO. THE VET TOLD ME IT COULD GET COSTLY IF THE TICKS OUR EMBEDDED INTO HER SKIN, THEY WILL HAVE TO PUT HER TO SLEEP AND CUT AWAY THE AREA AND FLUSH THE WOUND. THEN IT COULD COST LIKE $250. WHATS UP WITH THAT? I THOUGHT ITS A MYTH IF YOU DON'T REMOVE THE HEAD IT WILL STILL CONTINUE TO LIVE OFF YOU. BUT MAYBE THATS JUST ON HUMANS. NEVER HAD I HAD A PROBLEM WITH TICKS THIS LATE IN THE YEAR.