Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deadminnowcatcher

99 ford taurus humming

5 posts in this topic

ford taurus just started making a humming sound. makes it when u get above 35 mph. Any ideas? anything i can check myself before taking to mechanic???????

Sounds like a wheel bearing. A classic symptom to show up around 35 miles an hour. In a safe area and at the speed the sound occurs try turning both to the left and the right. If the sound gets louder when turning to the right than typically its the left wheel bearing that is bad (more load on the left side) and vise versa.

If not a wheel berg. could be power steering! Racks leak and let air into system. Or another leak!

Ya, if sound intensifise during cornering (around clover leaf) it could be wheel berg... How many miles on car?

Quote:

ford taurus just started making a humming sound.

Maybe its just happy....or it cant sing! smile.gif (sorry couldn't resist)

I'd agree with Airjer, sounds like a classic wheel bearing description. Could be any of the four. Rears are just a bit tougher to decipher which is the culprit as the sound is harder to zero in on. The turning back and forth doesnt affect the rears as much either.

Jack up and see if you get any play out of one of the wheels. Grab top and bottom of tire and push and pull top and bottom against eah other!

If possible, use stethascope and place prong on hub area and spin tire. Compare amount of noise heard to other three tires. You get one that sounds like a shaken box of bolts and nuts, nine times out of ten it would be that wheel.

Good luck!

If not wheel berg. or power steering, tranny's have been know to make a humm when T-converter has something up with it.

Airjer will like this one, but stop by local dealer and ask to have mechanic go on a test drive with Ya. Its free and they love to do this grin.gif.