• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tekan II mechanicals

vister

Anyone out there shoot these? I shot a deer from 12 yards with one, clean pass through, and they never opened. what the heck!? the bowtech is cranked up in draw weight, but still? all they had to do was slide straight back. just the little black o-ring moved. Kinda disappointed in their performance. anyone else? went for the G5 strikers in 100 grain instead, a fixed blade. What do you all shoot or recommend

I just took a doe at 20 yds with the Tekan IIs this morning. Left a heck of a nice, wide entry wound, but hit the shoulder blade on the far side and pierced the skin and didn't pass through.

It's the second deer I've shot with Tekan IIs, and I had no opening problems either time.

I've read about problems with just about every kind of mechanical head out there, even the vaunted Rage heads, so none of them are perfect. I've also read plenty of accounts of mechanicals working just fine, though. I was very cautious about even buying them, but I had such good luck with the G5 Montecs (fixed blades) I used for 3 years or so, I decided to give G5 the benefit of that experience and buy their Tekan IIs. So far, so good.

Did you pull the blades back and then re-seat them into the head before using them on a hunt or did you shoot the head at a deer right out of the package? That may be a factor, in that if the blades have been seated in the head since they were made, they may be a little seized up and harder to slide back.

Oh, and, did you get the deer you shot with no blade opening? How far did it run and what kind of blood trail did it leave?

I shoot muzzies and probably always will as long as they are made. Always are open and fly pretty good with my bow. They have NEVER failed me yet.

I might be old school or hard to convince to change but they work well.

Quote:

Anyone out there shoot these? I shot a deer from 12 yards with one, clean pass through, and they never opened. what the heck!? the bowtech is cranked up in draw weight, but still? all they had to do was slide straight back. just the little black o-ring moved. Kinda disappointed in their performance. anyone else? went for the G5 strikers in 100 grain instead, a fixed blade. What do you all shoot or recommend

I hate to be the spoiler here but unless it's been redesigned, the Tekan II is illegal in Minnesota. If I remember correctly, they actually have a barbed design, which doesn't allow the broadhead to fall from the animal. In Minnesota, barbed tips are not legal for hunting.

Here's the statute:

97B.211 Hunting big game by archery.

Subd. 2. Arrowhead requirements. Arrowheads used for taking big game must be sharp, have a minimum of two metal cutting edges, be of a barbless broadhead design, and must have a diameter of at least seven-eighths inch. The commissioner may allow retractable broadhead arrowheads that meet the other requirements of this subdivision.

Here's the administrative rule that clarifies the Commissioners statutory authority:

C. Retractable broadheads may be used if they meet the following criteria:

(1) they are at least seven-eighths of an inch in width and no more than two inches in width at or after impact with a big game animal; and

(2) they are a barbless design and function in a barbless manner. Retractable arrowheads are a barbless design if the trailing edge of each blade creates a 90 degree or greater angle with the shaft when the blades are fully retracted. Retractable arrowheads function in a barbless manner if, when withdrawn from a big game animal, the blades retract so that the trailing edge of each blade is at a 90 degree or greater angle to the arrow shaft.

The keyword is barbless. If it doesn't retract back enough to fall out, it's considered barbed. If I remember, the Tekan only retracts like 45 degrees. I hate to be a jerk but it would be worse if someone got a ticket because of the broadhead. I know, how can they sell it? Like the corn being sold at Fleet Farm in the hunting section, just because they sell it, doesn't mean you can use it. Sorry guys.

I've got a friend that uses the Tekans.

He called the DNR and was told that they were legal.

Gotta love some of the rules out there. Ask 2 lawyers and get 2 different answers. crazy.gif

I also shoot Muzzys and probably always will. They have preformed very well for me. I always think if it isn't broke why fix it?

Quote:

I've got a friend that uses the Tekans.

He called the DNR and was told that they were legal.

Gotta love some of the rules out there. Ask 2 lawyers and get 2 different answers.
crazy.gif

Unfortunately, whoever he called was incorrect. Of course, you never know how much of the broadhead description was conveyed in the conversation. Unless you open the broadhead and see that it doesn't go beyond 45 degrees, you wouldn't know. I got sent a bunch a couple years ago to look at, shared them with a CO and it was agreed they didn't meet the legal definition of a retractable broadhead.

As for the rules, I can't argue with you there. I have no idea where it came from or why it was enacted. My guess is to minimize the number of wounded deer running around with arrows that won't fall out. Only takes one in a subdivision to change state laws. Trust me on that one.

Again, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news and while I won't share my personal feelings on the issue, I almost feel like it's my obligation to interpret and explain.

He called 651-296-6157(DNR headquarters).

Hard to know if he described incorrectly, or just got someones opinion on the rule. crazy.gif

No reason to say you are the bearer of bad news.

I, as well as many others on here, appreciate everything you add.

yes i did get the deer grin.gif. upon looking at the hide after skinning, it looked like i shot it with a field point, entrance and exit. couldn't find blood for about 75-80 yards from the point of impact. but once we got on it, the coleman lit it up. very faint blood trail though, found him about 300-400 yards later. as far as the broadheads go, they are a year old. so yes, they have been loosened up by me playing with them time to time, especially in the quiver, when i stick them just to far down and they open up. then i got to re-set them.

The part of the reg where it states: "Retractable arrowheads function in a barbless manner if, when withdrawn from a big game animal, the blades retract so that the trailing edge of each blade is at a 90 degree or greater angle to the arrow shaft."

The Tekan II blades will only retract to, as lcornice said, about 45 degrees when "withdrawn from a big game animal". With this clarification (which does not appear in the hunting law book in such clear terms) it would seem that the Tekan II heads are a barbed head and are, indeed, illegal in Minnesota.

Oh well. I still have 8 Montec heads I believe, and I'm not that attached to the Tekans anyway. I think I'll just go with my original gut instinct and stay away from the mechanicals altogether. The Montecs work and shoot great for me so far, and as harvey lee and someone else said, why fix what ain't broke?

Quote:

The part of the reg where it states: "Retractable arrowheads function in a barbless manner if, when withdrawn from a big game animal, the
blades retract so that the
trailing edge
of each blade is at a 90 degree or greater angle to the arrow shaft.
"

I think that extra part of the sentence would make a fine addition to the 2008 regulations book. Thanks!