Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Giant_Jackpot

October Pike on the Rainy?

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone target pike on the Rainy in October? I’ve been coming up for walleye for the past 15 years and always have a blast and usually some good luck but thought I might try a little pike fishing as well. We spend most of our time in the Wheelers Point area. Any pike tips would be appreciated.

Spent the last weekend in September fishing the river with my dad and others. My dad loves pike fishing. He spent the whole time trolling one ounce spinner baits tipped with minnows from River Bend resort to the white church right next to the weeds. They caught several over ten pounds and had a great time. Good luck.

It's actually a pretty good way to double-dip the Rainy.

I like to pull a #12 or #14 Husky Jerk upstream as close to the weedline as possible and a #5 or #7 Shad Rap on the outside. Good chance of picking up nice eyes and sauger on the outside. We catch our biggest saugers doing this.

The weed line is a pretty good indication of depth but doesn't hurt to watch the graph for in/out adjustments.

Silver is the color for Shad Raps and silver, clown, firetiger for the Huskies.

Definitely some snags to find but reverse direction and have a fair chance of getting off. I refuse to stop fishing when someone snags a $ .50 jig in my boat but I will back-up for a $10 crank!

I fish upstream from Baudette (East) and caught pike to 40" this summer. I figure 90% of the pike I catch come within 10' of the weedline.

Actually considered it yesterday because I did so poorly with bait. Might today.

Go,Go, JackPot. When your thinking about a cup, I'll be drinking from mine!

Thanks for the replies on the pike. I just might have to give it a try.