Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WALLEYE HUNTER

rigging extra lights for night fishing

7 posts in this topic

Do you need extra lighting for night fishing (trolling? If so does any one have any suggestions or even any pics of what you use.

I keep all the lights off as much as possible except for the bow and stern lights.

Use a head lamp or the LEDs that clip to the brim or your cap. I keep that off except for when I'm letting out line, netting or unhooking a fish, or changing baits. Bring extra batteries for your headlamp or cap light, even better bring an extra light or two.

Have a couple flashlights or spotlights in easy to find spots. Use your boat interior lights occasionally if needed. Other than that you should be good to go.

A 4' LED rope light is really nice to have across the back or side of the boat when looking to land a fish or retie. It is bright but pretty limited to the distance within the boat.

Tunrevir~

I rigged up 2 12 volt flood lights w/switch on a 4' pole that I hook up too a 12volt battery. I mounted it in the front of the boat so that it over looks the whole boat from front to back. The lights are on a swivel so that I can turn them to one side or the other depending on which side of the boat the fish is on. Fish on, just flip the switch and shut it off when done. Very easy to make and works great for night fishing.

Willie ><((((>

Willie,

Doesn't that screw up the night vision?

Last year someone was doing just as you do and almost trolled right into shore and other boats in the area.

bobberal, I have not had any problems with the night vision, as the light is only on for a couple mins. The only time I have it on is when I need the light to unhook a fish or untangle lines or from the net. If you leave your motor in gear and dont pay attention I could see how this could be a problem for some.

Willie ><((((>

Quote:

I keep all the lights off as much as possible except for the bow and stern lights.

Use a head lamp or the LEDs that clip to the brim or your cap. I keep that off except for when I'm letting out line, netting or unhooking a fish, or changing baits. Bring extra batteries for your headlamp or cap light, even better bring an extra light or two.

Have a couple flashlights or spotlights in easy to find spots. Use your boat interior lights occasionally if needed. Other than that you should be good to go.

Excellent response. Just the way most of us do it. The more light you have the less you actually see. It robs you of your night vision. Plus if you're flashing around a spot or other bright light frequently you will not be a popular guy on the reef. Well other than with those who think you're landing fish and want to see how you're doing it. You get well acquainted with those guys. wink.gif